May 13, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Here’s a fun thing from the Braves’ move to Cobb County: a big reason the Braves claim they are moving to Cobb County is because the parking is better up there. I think that’s somewhat disingenuous — they’re moving because that’s where the people with the money are and where the stadium that will make them more money will sit — but, sure, let’s go with the parking thing for the time being.
Turns out that, because some bridge over the interstate is going to cost more money than people first thought, there won’t be an easy way to get people from the parking to the ballpark. From the AJC:
The bridge plan, rolled out soon after the November announcement that the team would relocate to Cobb County in 2017, is key in the Braves’ effort to provide enough parking spaces and get pedestrians from that area to the ballpark without walking along congested roads.
But new questions have surfaced about the bridge project and whether there’s money to pay for it in the existing stadium budget, which includes $14 million in local sales tax earmarked for transportation upgrades.
The bridge was originally slated to cost $3.5 million has risen to $9 million and that’s a huge part of that $14 million upgrade budget.
Or, thinking about it differently, the difference is less than half of what the Braves are paying Dan Uggla this season. So maybe the Braves could pitch in a little? Or is that something too impolite to suggest?
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 44
- The Nationals and Phillies are nearing a trade for Jonathan Papelbon 25
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 81
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)