May 13, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Chris Cwik of Sports on Earth (and a lot of other places) has an article today about those top prospects lists you see each late winter or early spring. The ones put out by Baseball America, Keith Law at ESPN, Jason Parks at Baseball Prospectus and Jonathan Mayo at MLB.com.
It’s a good look at the guts of the process: how these analysts scout the players, who they talk to (or don’t talk to) and the technology they use. Also, a look at how successful they tend to be at picking out true talent before everyone else. Given the volatility of ballplayers, they do a lot better than one might first assume they would, even if it’s still an inexact science.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)