May 13, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Chris Cwik of Sports on Earth (and a lot of other places) has an article today about those top prospects lists you see each late winter or early spring. The ones put out by Baseball America, Keith Law at ESPN, Jason Parks at Baseball Prospectus and Jonathan Mayo at MLB.com.
It’s a good look at the guts of the process: how these analysts scout the players, who they talk to (or don’t talk to) and the technology they use. Also, a look at how successful they tend to be at picking out true talent before everyone else. Given the volatility of ballplayers, they do a lot better than one might first assume they would, even if it’s still an inexact science.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 27
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40