Yep: Jose Fernandez has a tear in his elbow ligament

May 13, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Jose Fernandez AP AP

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.com reports what we feared to be the case:  Jose Fernandez has been diagnosed with a tear in the ulnar collateral ligament of his pitching arm and Tommy John surgery is gonna happen. He’ll get a second opinion from the Marlins team doctor, but there isn’t much reason to be optimistic here.

Fernandez joins Kris MedlenBrandon BeachyCory GearrinPatrick CorbinJarrod ParkerA.J. Griffin; Matt MooreIvan NovaJosh JohnsonBobby ParnellLuke HochevarBruce Rondon and Jameson Taillon. All just this year.

They ought to build a monument.

1. babyfarkmcgeezax - May 13, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Best wishes on the recovery. Can’t wait to see this guy on the mound again.

2. braddavery - May 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I wonder if we tallied all the pitchers currently inactive due to scheduled TJSs and currently rehabbing due to TJS, how many would it be?

• geoknows - May 13, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Counting minor leaguers it’s around 60 or so.

• braddavery - May 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM

That’s an alarming number. It’s not a few here and there. When 60 of your players are out with the same injury, it’s an epidemic.

3. mikedi33 - May 13, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Prior to TJS there was no recovery. This whole list of pitchers would have had their careers ended. It makes me wonder how many great pitchers we never heard of who were pre TJS.

• blacksables - May 13, 2014 at 4:35 PM

If no one has ever heard of them, by what criteria do you consider them great?

• djpostl - May 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Pitchers take time to develop. The list of ones who have success early is about 1/100th the length of the ones who just needed to figure stuff out before blossoming.

It isn’t a stretch to think that plenty of great ones never got to get to that point because their arms blew out too soon and there wasn’t an option like TJ at the time

4. chip56 - May 13, 2014 at 4:43 PM

How long until the ensuing Marlins fire sale?

• Old Gator - May 13, 2014 at 8:10 PM

July 31.

5. El Bravo - May 13, 2014 at 4:53 PM

This blows for baseball. This blows for America.

6. happytwinsfan - May 13, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I wonder if Dr James Andrews makes as much as the average major league pitcher.

• Old Gator - May 13, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I would guess that, whatever he makes, he doesn’t lose any sleep over lacking an extended warranty for his oldest car.

• sportsfan18 - May 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Not sure how much validity to put in this, but the net worth site on the web says the Doc is only worth $10 million…

7. jkaflagg - May 13, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Wonder if there will be another “overworking young pitchers” backlash after this….know the Marlins tried to be careful with him, but he was getting plenty of work for a young pitcher….

….And even being “careful” with young pitchers is certainly no guarantee; I’m sure Taillon and Bundy were developed carefully by their organizations but were still injured, and of course Strasburg is another case. Seems that if you throw hard there’s a even chance you’ll need TJS at some point….

• jya87 - May 13, 2014 at 6:35 PM

@jkaflagg

I think there’s going to be more of a “working pitchers who are throwing up” backlash more than a backlash against overworked young pitchers.

I understand, he got sick right before the game and you can’t call up a spot starter on such short notice, but man.

• Old Gator - May 13, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Yes, so you move the healthy guy who started least recently up to pitch on four days’ rest. Let him go five if he can. Use a couple of relievers for one or two innings at the most. Use the day he buys to bring up one of several pitchers from the minors to fill the next slot and make arrangements to give your emergency sub an extra day next week. Not like it’s never been done. Sending a sick kid out to hurt himself instead is…well…let’s be charitable: not smart.

• 2077james - May 14, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Its nothing to do with him pitching sick. A healthy ligament doesn’t just tear during one game, from what I understand its gradual damage over a long time that causes the tear. Fact is that kids in school pitch too much. They don’t get the rest their body needs to heal itself. Blame his school / college coaches if you want to blame anyone.

8. ironcurtin64 - May 13, 2014 at 6:30 PM

As a Mariners fan, I only loved watching Felix over Fernandez by the smallest of margins. That kid can do things with a baseball I can’t do with a Whiffle ball. I really feel like something special was taken away…at least for a while.

9. chacochicken - May 13, 2014 at 7:22 PM

10. Old Gator - May 13, 2014 at 7:25 PM

I’m heartsick. I can only wish him a speedy recovery and hope he’ll be back on the mound soon. I also hope it’ll give idiot managers an education about not letting sick pitchers take the mound.

• wonkypenguin - May 13, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Gator – I read every day and I literally worried about you when I heard the news. Which made me rethink my relationship with the internet, but deep bonds are formed through baseball, right?

• Old Gator - May 13, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Yes they are. Thank you. I’m okay. You’re talking to a guy with a pet rattlesnake, remember?

11. ptfu - May 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM