May 13, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.com reports what we feared to be the case: Jose Fernandez has been diagnosed with a tear in the ulnar collateral ligament of his pitching arm and Tommy John surgery is gonna happen. He’ll get a second opinion from the Marlins team doctor, but there isn’t much reason to be optimistic here.
Fernandez joins Kris Medlen, Brandon Beachy, Cory Gearrin, Patrick Corbin, Jarrod Parker, A.J. Griffin; Matt Moore, Ivan Nova, Josh Johnson, Bobby Parnell, Luke Hochevar, Bruce Rondon and Jameson Taillon. All just this year.
They ought to build a monument.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)