May 13, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.com reports what we feared to be the case: Jose Fernandez has been diagnosed with a tear in the ulnar collateral ligament of his pitching arm and Tommy John surgery is gonna happen. He’ll get a second opinion from the Marlins team doctor, but there isn’t much reason to be optimistic here.
Fernandez joins Kris Medlen, Brandon Beachy, Cory Gearrin, Patrick Corbin, Jarrod Parker, A.J. Griffin; Matt Moore, Ivan Nova, Josh Johnson, Bobby Parnell, Luke Hochevar, Bruce Rondon and Jameson Taillon. All just this year.
They ought to build a monument.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)