May 14, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
So many interesting details in this story about A-Rod from New York Magazine. Among them:
- A source close to him says A-Rod has “put baseball out of his mind. He’s very much unplugged from the Yankees.”
- He’s far more interested in his business ventures and is spending his time in his office and looking to expand his investment portfolio
- His ex-wife Cynthia, however, says that he’s still committed to baseball has dropped ten pounds and that “he works out twice a day and he looks lean and fit”
- Cynthia also says that Rodriguez seems “balanced and focused” to her and that he’s “really present in the girls’ lives, showing up at school events,” she said.
That all sounds rather good for him, I suppose. Getting his life balance back, being a good dad and keeping himself open to the possibilities of both being done with baseball and returning, depending on what happens in the spring. One could even spin a Best Shape of His Life angle out of those comments from his ex-wife.
Of course, if I worked for the Post or the Daily News I’d spin it as A-Rod still being all about the money, indecisive and using his ex-wife, his kids and his workout regime as a prop to cynically manipulate everyone. I mean, you gotta sell newspapers.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 170
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (172)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)