May 14, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
So many interesting details in this story about A-Rod from New York Magazine. Among them:
- A source close to him says A-Rod has “put baseball out of his mind. He’s very much unplugged from the Yankees.”
- He’s far more interested in his business ventures and is spending his time in his office and looking to expand his investment portfolio
- His ex-wife Cynthia, however, says that he’s still committed to baseball has dropped ten pounds and that “he works out twice a day and he looks lean and fit”
- Cynthia also says that Rodriguez seems “balanced and focused” to her and that he’s “really present in the girls’ lives, showing up at school events,” she said.
That all sounds rather good for him, I suppose. Getting his life balance back, being a good dad and keeping himself open to the possibilities of both being done with baseball and returning, depending on what happens in the spring. One could even spin a Best Shape of His Life angle out of those comments from his ex-wife.
Of course, if I worked for the Post or the Daily News I’d spin it as A-Rod still being all about the money, indecisive and using his ex-wife, his kids and his workout regime as a prop to cynically manipulate everyone. I mean, you gotta sell newspapers.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)