May 14, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
So many interesting details in this story about A-Rod from New York Magazine. Among them:
- A source close to him says A-Rod has “put baseball out of his mind. He’s very much unplugged from the Yankees.”
- He’s far more interested in his business ventures and is spending his time in his office and looking to expand his investment portfolio
- His ex-wife Cynthia, however, says that he’s still committed to baseball has dropped ten pounds and that “he works out twice a day and he looks lean and fit”
- Cynthia also says that Rodriguez seems “balanced and focused” to her and that he’s “really present in the girls’ lives, showing up at school events,” she said.
That all sounds rather good for him, I suppose. Getting his life balance back, being a good dad and keeping himself open to the possibilities of both being done with baseball and returning, depending on what happens in the spring. One could even spin a Best Shape of His Life angle out of those comments from his ex-wife.
Of course, if I worked for the Post or the Daily News I’d spin it as A-Rod still being all about the money, indecisive and using his ex-wife, his kids and his workout regime as a prop to cynically manipulate everyone. I mean, you gotta sell newspapers.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 8
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)