A-Rod is “finding that his calling in life is business”

May 14, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

So many interesting details in this story about A-Rod from New York Magazine. Among them:

• A source close to him says A-Rod has “put baseball out of his mind. He’s very much unplugged from the Yankees.”
  • He’s far more interested in his business ventures and is spending his time in his office and looking to expand his investment portfolio
  • His ex-wife Cynthia, however, says that he’s still committed to baseball has dropped ten pounds and  that “he works out twice a day and he looks lean and fit”
  • Cynthia also says that Rodriguez seems “balanced and focused” to her and that he’s “really present in the girls’ lives, showing up at school events,” she said.

That all sounds rather good for him, I suppose. Getting his life balance back, being a good dad and keeping himself open to the possibilities of both being done with baseball and returning, depending on what happens in the spring. One could even spin a Best Shape of His Life angle out of those comments from his ex-wife.

Of course, if I worked for the Post or the Daily News I’d spin it as A-Rod still being all about the money, indecisive and using his ex-wife, his kids and his workout regime as a prop to cynically manipulate everyone. I mean, you gotta sell newspapers.

1. Bob Loblaw - May 14, 2014 at 3:04 PM

“Cynthia also says that Rodriguez seems “balanced and focused” to her and that he’s “really present in the girls’ lives, showing up at school events,” she said.”

Coming from the ex-wife, this is the best thing that can be said about A-Rod, and pretty much about ANYBODY period. I know my ex-wife would not say this about me if I bought the house next door, picked my son up from school every day, did his homework with him, and put him to bed every single night of the week. Good for A-Rod and, as importantly, good for her for saying this about him in public.

• ilovegspot - May 14, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Sucker!!

• anxovies - May 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM

My ex-wife put out a contract on me. I mean, yeah, I used to forget to pick up the kids at the day care center and the cops would come to the house, and spent our first wedding anniversary out with the guys playing pool. And then there was the time when I got caught in bed with her stepsister during Christmas at her parent’s house… But where’s the love?

• chinahand11 - May 15, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Bwahahaha! Thank you for my morning laugh. Oh, did you ever sneak out a nasty one when you were visiting the in-laws? Like icing on the cake, you know?

• jfk69 - May 14, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Headline next spring
      AROD is now in the best shape of his life

2. Jason @ IIATMS - May 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I came for the hate. Where’s the hate, dammit?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - May 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM

This post is just click bait. Craig’s banning finger has been itching lately…

• paperlions - May 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Please use the sarcasm code (!!!1!1!) to avoid confusion.

• Bar None - May 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM

[YOU SHALL BE BANISHED]

• Jason @ IIATMS - May 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Oh Craig won’t ban me. Even if I call him a whiskey-drinkin’, retro-classes-wearin’, Phillies-trollin’ FORMER LAWYER!

Them’s fightin’ words, Craig.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - May 15, 2014 at 8:54 AM

By the amount of thumbs down, I see only Paper got the joke. :)

• sportsfan18 - May 14, 2014 at 4:18 PM

all the hate is currently on probasketballtalk…

Sterling saga…

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - May 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I wish I had the resources to spend time with my kids, work out twice a day, and still be invested in my business interests. Good lord. I’m ridiculously jealous of Alex Rodriguez right now…

4. jjschiller - May 14, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Funny how one would find their life calling in “business” AFTER they accumulated $300m or so with which to do “business.”

• lazlosother - May 14, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Although he did make 300 million. Baseball is a business, and A-Rod was good at selling his services.

5. yankeesfanlen - May 14, 2014 at 3:45 PM

The benefits of being left alone.

6. ch0psuey - May 14, 2014 at 3:47 PM

An ex-wife talking nice about her former husband, what in the world is going on here?

• sportsfan18 - May 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM

she smells money…

7. DelawarePhilliesFan - May 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM

“spending his time in his office and looking to expand his investment portfolio”

A-Rod, give me a call. Following my proven method, you can double – or as much as TRIPLE – your initial investment in just 6 weeks.

Of course, I will want evidence you are not using any Business Enhancing Drugs.

• umrguy42 - May 14, 2014 at 11:19 PM

…You do mean, double or triple how much he puts in, right? You didn’t explicitly state he’d get that in *returns* ;p

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 15, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Friend, I’m not here to talk about “return on investment”. I’m here to talk about you. About your dreams. About your destiny. About you taking control and saying “Yes, this is the life I want!”

• umrguy42 - May 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM

That’s fantastic! Amazing! Where do I sign up?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - May 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM

There’s a hayfield near Buxton Maine, it’s got a long rock wall with a big oak tree at the north end. Leave $2,000 cash under a big black rock at the base of that tree

• abaird2012 - May 15, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Interesting! Tell me more.

8. SBoy - May 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Actually Craig, the positive and negative interpretation at the end of your post have one thing in common…They are both spin based on facts we are being told (and not necessarily proven). One may be more truthful than the other… time will tell…For those who care, they can speculate using what we know of the man up to this point to form an opinion.

• anxovies - May 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Everything we think we know about the guy is speculation from the news and sports media and from people looking for a buck writing tell-all books. The only news about him from a credible source is the information from his ex-wife that he is a good father and keeps in shape. Considering the source, that news is probably correct.

9. happytwinsfan - May 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Alex just will not be satisfied until his unbroken march of success drive the rest of us to rent a gun and buy a bullet.

• chinahand11 - May 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Dude, you can’t say that kind of stuff about guns on this bulletin board. Go over to PFT, where things are ramping up on the Aaron Hernandez double-redrum.

10. chip56 - May 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Good for him.

Look, Alex did the wrong thing, got caught and now is serving his time; none of which I have any problem with. As a Yankee fan I’m happy to hear that he’s not sitting home eating all day like Jesus Montero did when he was suspended. I hope that when he’s reinstated next season he comes to spring training angry and in shape and ready to go.

• paperlions - May 14, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I desperately want him to break Bond’s HR record…not that I care about ARod or the record, but just to see the heads exploding and the teeth gnashing.

• [citation needed] fka COPO - May 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM

He’s what, 108 behind Bonds, with three years left on his contract? That’s 36.3 HR/year to break Bonds, because there’s no way he’s getting another one after this. He hasn’t hit 36 HR since ’07, meaning he’d probably need to take every PED currently in production to do it.

And the moron would get caught in like, Sept ’17 with 2 HR to go because he insisted on writing a check to Dr. Nick Rivera…

11. tbutler704 - May 14, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I love A-Rod.

12. andreweac - May 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Arod switched from roids to Adderall.

13. zinger99 - May 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM

tbutler loves A-Roid and thinks Wrigley should be torn down. Talk about hating baseball.

14. doctornature - May 14, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I would bet money he is on the phone daily to chemists in Europe who can prove they can beat the MLB testing protocol. With his money, he can afford the best. And a PED monkey like Arod, who has already been banished to hell in the court of baseball fan opinions, has absolutely NOTHING to lose by being caught again.

15. syphermce - May 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I hope he comes back next season and hits 40 home runs. Despite what he’s done by what some considered to be cheating, he’s still one of the best hitters in the past 20 years. I would love to see him go out on his own terms seeing how he won’t go into the Hall of Fame now. Even though he deserves to.

16. joestemme - May 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Fuc@ A-Roid and his businesses.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4996)