May 14, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Rays second baseman Ben Zobrist exited Wednesday afternoon’s game against the Mariners after dislocating his thumb sliding into second base on a stolen base attempt. Zobrist had singled with one out in the fifth and attempted to steal second base as David DeJesus struck out, but was thrown out at second by catcher John Buck to end the inning.
Manager Joe Maddon took Zobrist out of the game, putting Sean Rodriguez in at second base in his place. Roger Mooney of The Tampa Tribune reports that Zobrist has been diagnosed with a dislocated left thumb. It was put back in place and will stay with the team, and will be reevaluated when the Rays return home after Sunday’s series finale against the Angels in Los Angeles.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)