May 14, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Rays second baseman Ben Zobrist exited Wednesday afternoon’s game against the Mariners after dislocating his thumb sliding into second base on a stolen base attempt. Zobrist had singled with one out in the fifth and attempted to steal second base as David DeJesus struck out, but was thrown out at second by catcher John Buck to end the inning.
Manager Joe Maddon took Zobrist out of the game, putting Sean Rodriguez in at second base in his place. Roger Mooney of The Tampa Tribune reports that Zobrist has been diagnosed with a dislocated left thumb. It was put back in place and will stay with the team, and will be reevaluated when the Rays return home after Sunday’s series finale against the Angels in Los Angeles.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)