May 14, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Rays second baseman Ben Zobrist exited Wednesday afternoon’s game against the Mariners after dislocating his thumb sliding into second base on a stolen base attempt. Zobrist had singled with one out in the fifth and attempted to steal second base as David DeJesus struck out, but was thrown out at second by catcher John Buck to end the inning.
Manager Joe Maddon took Zobrist out of the game, putting Sean Rodriguez in at second base in his place. Roger Mooney of The Tampa Tribune reports that Zobrist has been diagnosed with a dislocated left thumb. It was put back in place and will stay with the team, and will be reevaluated when the Rays return home after Sunday’s series finale against the Angels in Los Angeles.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 0
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 18
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 38
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 71
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4