May 14, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Following Saturday’s start against the Brewers in which he allowed four runs in 5 1/3 innings, Yankees starter CC Sabathia landed on the disabled list due to fluid build-up in his right knee, which required draining.
Per Meredith Marakovits of the YES Network, Yankees GM Brian Cashman says that Sabathia is dealing with “degenerative changes” in his knee, adding that the left-hander will receive a cortisone shot with stem cells on Thursday and that there is no timetable for his return.
Marakovits added, for perspective:
CC’s knee stability is fine. No miniscal tear. Andruw Jones, Carlos Beltran, Hideki Matsui among those who’ve had success w/ same treatment
— Meredith Marakovits (@M_Marakovits) May 14, 2014
Over eight starts spanning 46 innings, Sabathia has a 5.28 ERA with a 48/10 K/BB ratio. He has allowed a whopping 58 hits, though, and ten of them are home runs.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (189)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)