May 14, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
The story from earlier in the week that Saul Katz wants to sell his share of the Mets — which he adamantly denied the same day — was based on the premise that the Mets are losing money and Katz is tired of subsidizing the team. That’s what the New York Times said anyway.
Bud Selig says he’s heard nothing about Katz wanting to sell and cited the denial, but he went a step further and said that there was no truth to the assumption that the Mets are losing money:
I’ve said this repetitively — I have no concerns about the Mets. I have no reason to have any concerns. Why should I have? That’s the whole point . . . I’m very optimistic about what they’re doing. The only people telling me to have concerns are people who don’t know and haven’t seen any facts . . . I don’t understand these stories because I have all the economic facts — nothing to support (the team is hemorrhaging money). Major League Baseball has all the economic information. This idea that I should have reason to be concerned is just wrong.”
I suppose that’s good news. But it’s also frustrating for Mets fans who look at the bullpen they’re stuck with and assume it’s that way because the team is broke. Now what? It’s that way because the team just doesn’t want a good bullpen?
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)