May 14, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Kolten Wong’s demotion to the minors was a short one, as the Cardinals have recalled the rookie second baseman from Triple-A just two weeks after optioning him to Memphis.
Wong won the Opening Day job at second base only to be demoted after hitting .225 with zero homers and a .544 OPS in 20 games because the Cardinals decided to give veteran Mark Ellis the full-time job. However, after watching Ellis struggle they’ve decided to turn back to Wong, who was a 2011 first-round draft pick and consensus top-100 prospect heading into this year.
He earned the return to St. Louis by hitting .344 with two homers, five steals, and an .867 OPS in 15 games at Triple-A, although if 15 good games in the minors were enough to make the Cardinals forget about 20 bad games in the majors maybe they shouldn’t have demoted Wong in the first place. Presumably he’ll get a much longer leash this time and, if all goes according to plan, take over the position for the next decade or so in St. Louis.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 125
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (129)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)