Cardinals call up Kolten Wong from Triple-A

May 14, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT

kolten wong getty Getty Images

Kolten Wong’s demotion to the minors was a short one, as the Cardinals have recalled the rookie second baseman from Triple-A just two weeks after optioning him to Memphis.

Wong won the Opening Day job at second base only to be demoted after hitting .225 with zero homers and a .544 OPS in 20 games because the Cardinals decided to give veteran Mark Ellis the full-time job. However, after watching Ellis struggle they’ve decided to turn back to Wong, who was a 2011 first-round draft pick and consensus top-100 prospect heading into this year.

He earned the return to St. Louis by hitting .344 with two homers, five steals, and an .867 OPS in 15 games at Triple-A, although if 15 good games in the minors were enough to make the Cardinals forget about 20 bad games in the majors maybe they shouldn’t have demoted Wong in the first place. Presumably he’ll get a much longer leash this time and, if all goes according to plan, take over the position for the next decade or so in St. Louis.

1. okwhitefalcon - May 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Hopefully Wong seizes the opportunity and runs with it although I seriously doubt he’ll ever live up to the expectation of the HPGF (hyperventilating prospect geek fraternity) segment of the BFIB.

He’s a lot closer to Fernando Vina than he is Dustin Pedroia and that’s cool, just don’t be surprised if he ends up somewhere north of Luis Alicea.

• paperlions - May 14, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I’d be happy with league average offense, solid to plus defense, and plus base running…..I am hoping for more offense, but I don’t “need” it to be happy with him as a player.

• Reflex - May 15, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I pointed out all spring that Wong’s upside was “solid everyday major leaguer” and was blasted by Cards fans. I’m just not certain why they think that’s a bad thing. Yeah everyone wants a superstar at every position, but at 2B, SS and C a solid everyday player is incredibly valuable, and the Cards are already elite at one of those positions and above average at short so they have it good.

2. missingdiz - May 14, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I’ll be rooting for Wong, but we can’t expect him to carry the team. Or save games. In May Rosenthal has faced 22 batters, giving up 7 hits and 4 walks. I hope Motte is 100% when he gets back.

3. gibbyfan - May 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I wish they would have given Garcia a liitle more of a chance instead of Ellis

• paperlions - May 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Yeah, I was hoping they would keep Garcia around and send DD down for a bit…or trade him. Garcia is essentially DD with better defense and more plate discipline.

• beepbeepbeeplgb - May 14, 2014 at 5:52 PM

pretty sure for the past few years westbrook was the least liked cardinal, dd has definitely taken over that spot.

4. anxovies - May 14, 2014 at 5:59 PM

His name reminds me of Shepherd Wong in the Woody Allen flick.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2478)