May 14, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Carlos Gomez has dropped his appeal of his three-game suspension handed down by Major League Baseball as a result of his involvement in the Easter altercation with the Pirates after gawking at a triple he hit off of Gerrit Cole. He’ll start serving the suspension tonight.
It’s a bit of fortunate timing, in one respect, for Gomez as he is currently dealing with back spasms so his suspension coincides with time he would have been missing anyway.
Gomez had been performing well for the Brewers, slashing .290/.369/.555 with nine home runs, 21 RBI, and seven stolen bases — a nice follow-up to last year’s breakout campaign.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)