May 14, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Carlos Gomez has dropped his appeal of his three-game suspension handed down by Major League Baseball as a result of his involvement in the Easter altercation with the Pirates after gawking at a triple he hit off of Gerrit Cole. He’ll start serving the suspension tonight.
It’s a bit of fortunate timing, in one respect, for Gomez as he is currently dealing with back spasms so his suspension coincides with time he would have been missing anyway.
Gomez had been performing well for the Brewers, slashing .290/.369/.555 with nine home runs, 21 RBI, and seven stolen bases — a nice follow-up to last year’s breakout campaign.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)