May 14, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Carlos Gomez has dropped his appeal of his three-game suspension handed down by Major League Baseball as a result of his involvement in the Easter altercation with the Pirates after gawking at a triple he hit off of Gerrit Cole. He’ll start serving the suspension tonight.
It’s a bit of fortunate timing, in one respect, for Gomez as he is currently dealing with back spasms so his suspension coincides with time he would have been missing anyway.
Gomez had been performing well for the Brewers, slashing .290/.369/.555 with nine home runs, 21 RBI, and seven stolen bases — a nice follow-up to last year’s breakout campaign.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 33
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 60
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120