May 14, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Carlos Gomez has dropped his appeal of his three-game suspension handed down by Major League Baseball as a result of his involvement in the Easter altercation with the Pirates after gawking at a triple he hit off of Gerrit Cole. He’ll start serving the suspension tonight.
It’s a bit of fortunate timing, in one respect, for Gomez as he is currently dealing with back spasms so his suspension coincides with time he would have been missing anyway.
Gomez had been performing well for the Brewers, slashing .290/.369/.555 with nine home runs, 21 RBI, and seven stolen bases — a nice follow-up to last year’s breakout campaign.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)