May 14, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Carlos Gomez has dropped his appeal of his three-game suspension handed down by Major League Baseball as a result of his involvement in the Easter altercation with the Pirates after gawking at a triple he hit off of Gerrit Cole. He’ll start serving the suspension tonight.
It’s a bit of fortunate timing, in one respect, for Gomez as he is currently dealing with back spasms so his suspension coincides with time he would have been missing anyway.
Gomez had been performing well for the Brewers, slashing .290/.369/.555 with nine home runs, 21 RBI, and seven stolen bases — a nice follow-up to last year’s breakout campaign.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)