May 14, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Cardinals starter Jaime Garcia will return to the team and start against the Braves at home on Saturday, MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch reports. Garcia was sidelined late in spring training with inflammation in his left shoulder. He had undergone surgery to repair a partial tear of his labrum last May.
When Garcia — now 27 — has been healthy, he has been a productive member of the Cardinals’ starting rotation. Since 2010, when he became a featured hurler, Garcia has posted a 3.38 ERA with 429 strikeouts and 159 walks in 535 innings.
The Cardinals have been bitten by the injury bug lately. Joe Kelly suffered a hamstring injury and went on the disabled list. Kelly was replaced by Tyler Lyons in the rotation, but Lyons is now on the disabled list himself, dealing with a sore shoulder. Garcia will return and attempt to restore stability to the rotation.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $18,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s only $2 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7:07pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)