May 14, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Cardinals starter Jaime Garcia will return to the team and start against the Braves at home on Saturday, MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch reports. Garcia was sidelined late in spring training with inflammation in his left shoulder. He had undergone surgery to repair a partial tear of his labrum last May.
When Garcia — now 27 — has been healthy, he has been a productive member of the Cardinals’ starting rotation. Since 2010, when he became a featured hurler, Garcia has posted a 3.38 ERA with 429 strikeouts and 159 walks in 535 innings.
The Cardinals have been bitten by the injury bug lately. Joe Kelly suffered a hamstring injury and went on the disabled list. Kelly was replaced by Tyler Lyons in the rotation, but Lyons is now on the disabled list himself, dealing with a sore shoulder. Garcia will return and attempt to restore stability to the rotation.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $18,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s only $2 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7:07pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)