May 14, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
Cardinals starter Jaime Garcia will return to the team and start against the Braves at home on Saturday, MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch reports. Garcia was sidelined late in spring training with inflammation in his left shoulder. He had undergone surgery to repair a partial tear of his labrum last May.
When Garcia — now 27 — has been healthy, he has been a productive member of the Cardinals’ starting rotation. Since 2010, when he became a featured hurler, Garcia has posted a 3.38 ERA with 429 strikeouts and 159 walks in 535 innings.
The Cardinals have been bitten by the injury bug lately. Joe Kelly suffered a hamstring injury and went on the disabled list. Kelly was replaced by Tyler Lyons in the rotation, but Lyons is now on the disabled list himself, dealing with a sore shoulder. Garcia will return and attempt to restore stability to the rotation.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $18,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Wednesday night’s MLB games. It’s only $2 to join and first prize is $2,000. Starts at 7:07pm ET on Wednesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 0
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 28
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)