Josh Beckett notches his first victory since 2012

May 14, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT

Los Angeles Dodgers v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

Dodgers right-hander Josh Beckett tossed 6.1 innings of one-run ball against the Marlins last night for his first win since September 30, 2012.

Beckett missed most of last season following surgery to remove a rib stemming from a nerve condition and made a total of 14 starts between victories, going 0-6 during that time.

But while it was his first win of this season Beckett has consistently pitched very well for the Dodgers in seven starts, tossing 42 innings with a 2.38 ERA and 40/15 K/BB ratio. He’s allowed two runs or fewer in five of his last six outings.

His raw stuff isn’t quite what it once was–Beckett is averaging 92.0 miles per hour with his fastball, compared to 94-95 mph at his peak–but he’s looked damn good for a guy who was basically totally out of the team’s plans not so long ago and at age 34 he’s suddenly a big part of the Dodgers’ rotation.

1. rollinghighwayblues - May 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Beckett lives northwest of SA near Boerne, my boss also lives up there and has a high school aged catcher on the baseball team. Before Spring Training this year Beckett calls up to the high school and asks the coach if he has any available kids that can catch him for a few bullpens over the course of the next two weeks and the coach throws my boss’s son and the backup catcher out there. So there is Beckett and two 15 year old kids fixing to play catch with a Major Leaguer. First rattle out of the box the backup catcher throws the ball 20 feet above and beyond Beckett’s heads and Beckett exclaims “Jesus Christ!” as he chases after the ball . Without skipping a beat the kid who airmailed the ball says “sorry, Mr. Beckett! I didn’t see you stretch your legs so I figured you needed a light warm up.”

2. hojo20 - May 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM

After 2007 I would’ve thought Beckett would have a chance to be HOF worthy, but he’ll miss out like that compiler Craig Biggio.

• 18thstreet - May 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Did Craig Biggio kill your dog? I mean, I think he’s worthy. You think he isn’t. But we can both name 20 players less deserving than Craig Biggio who are in there anyway.

What’s your deal?

3. TheMorningStar - May 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

As a Red Sox fan I’m glad to see Beckett pitching well again. No ill will towards him or any others incuded in ‘the trade’

Given how poorly Gonzalez and Crawford are playing, its now safe to say that Cherington made the greatest trade of all time.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Talk about seeing the world through Red Sox tinged glasses.

Crawford is on a hitting streak and Gonzalez is, according to the gospel of Vin, our bread-and-butter man.

How are those minor league pitchers doing?

• rollinghighwayblues - May 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM

In all honesty, aren’t the Red Sox just happy that they unloaded all that money that they owed? Weren’t the minor league pieces just a bonus?

• TheMorningStar - May 14, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Well, as a Red Sox fan, what other glasses would i be sporting?

De La Rosa and Webster are doing well in Pawtucket. Both will be called up soon.

Crawford isn’t worth 5 mil a season and Gonzalez is slumping badly.

Oh yes, the $250+ in terrible contracts we dumped on LA? With all that $ freed up, Cherington spent a fraction of that on Napoli, Victornio, and Ulehara. It worked out well you must admit.

• 18thstreet - May 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Hitting streak? That’s all you got?

Honestly, I don’t understand why the Dodgers made the deal, but I’m hugely thankful they did. As long as you’re happy with it, then maybe we can work out another deal. We’ll give you Johnny Gomes for every minor leaguers in your system. Deal?

• koufaxmitzvah - May 14, 2014 at 1:21 PM

That’s all I got because Crawford’s role isn’t prominent on the team as the 3/4th OF. He doesn’t cost us games. He plays hard when in there. Got a nice pinch hit homer in Florida last week. Dives for balls in the outfield. Not sure what else to expect out of the guy. $20 million worth? No, but as mentioned, your team signed him to that. Your team made that decision. My team took that bad decision off of your desk.

The Dodgers weren’t shy about why they made the deal. tIt was for Gonzalez who is an upgrade to James Loney + nobody in the minors as well as a cornerstone to the Latin American market the Dodgers seem to Numero Uno in. Gonzalez, Ramirez, Puig, and Uribe have made the Dodgers Latin America’s team which equals more money from jersey sales and the like. That’s called business, and if you’re a billionaire, you’re willing to pay $50 million in other people’s contracts in order to generate $100 million for your team, or am I wrong about that?

That trade gave us a chance to start after too many years of awful Frank McCourt decisionmaking. I have yet to hear one Dodgers fan complain about it.

• 18thstreet - May 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Just to be clear, the Red Sox paid Crawford $20 million a year for ages 29 to 35 after a terrific age 28 season and a really great age 27 season. That didn’t work out, but it wasn’t bat-guano crazy.

Your team is paying Crawford $20 million a year for ages 31 to 35 — after a completely crappy age 29 season and an age 30 season lost to injury. That’s just about the worst contract ever.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM

My team didn’t sign him to this contract. They picked up the contract your team signed him to for 2 reasons: they wanted Gonzalez to play 1st and they needed a better LF anyway. There’s really no mystery here. The plan wasn’t to have 4 outfielders making over $10 million each, but that doesn’t matter to the new owners because they are filthy rich and can handle the abundance of pay.

• koufaxmitzvah - May 14, 2014 at 1:14 PM

You know, Morning Star, the Red Sox signed Crawford to $20 million a year, not the Dodgers. The Dodgers have taken him off your hands and have used him quite effectively the last number of weeks. As a Dodgers fan, I’m perfectly happy having him on my team, even though your team signed him to a crazy contract and then started bitching with every perceived slight.

Fact is, you want to stand around and talk about how great Cherington is because Crawford and Gonzalez are, by your knowledge, terrible ball players. All that does is cause others to question your baseball knowledge.

Frankly, you need to get over this Those Guys Suck routine. They no longer play for you, and they haven’t for over a season.

• playball - May 14, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Good for Beckett. I hope he continues his success and remembers that some of us really did wish he stayed.

I don’t harbor ill will upon Crawford or Gonzalez, they wore our uni and a bit of respect towards them for that. They seem happy where they are.

Great to see Punto found a home.

As for our first baseman, Napoli rocks. This guy loves it here and thrives in Boston. His defensive skills have been honed and he can really see the strike zone. Sure, he strikes out a lot, but he can wear down those opposing pitchers and bang some hits out.

Left field. I know there is the platoon going on, but I’ll focus on Jonny Gomes, since his name was mentioned as trade bait. Please tell me this was sarcasm. Another guy who genuinely wants to be here. I wish he had more playing time.

Webster is doing okay, I don’t think he’s ready for prime-time. He was called up and had varying results. Ruby. He needs a lot more time, in my opinion. The others, who knows? Somewhere else?

James Loney gave us what we needed to get by that year. He has found a home with the Rays and his name is pretty well known there.

I’d say the trade was a win-win. Sox unloaded cash and contracts. Dodgers received star players. Both teams are doing fine.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3746)