May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Last Friday night Yu Darvish technically had his no-hitter broken up by a clean David Ortiz single in the ninth. In reality, if the official scorer of that game had done what every other official scorer does, it would’ve been broken up in the seventh when Ortiz lofted one between the second baseman and the right fielder, and having it drop in. That’s almost always ruled a hit, but the scorer called it an error.
Definite mixed feelings on this. In an ideal world, mental errors that lead to balls dropping without being touched should be errors. They are miscues and mistakes and why more fielder’s aren’t credited with errors for making them is beyond me. On the other hand, if you’re going to make this corrective, you do it via an official action or instruction from Major League Baseball to its scorers, you don’t change the convention on the fly, in a situation that, by sheer coincidence, I’m sure, aided the home player pursuing history.
But we can all agree on this: no way this gets changed if Darvish completed the no-hitter by retiring Ortiz in the ninth. I can’t feature MLB erasing a no-no that got celebrated on the field and which likely would have led to memorabilia sales and all of that.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)