May 14, 2014, 9:30 PM EST
Pirates closer Jason Grilli has been on the disabled list since April 21 with a strained oblique, but the right-hander deemed himself “ready” to return after throwing 24 pitches in a simulated game on Wednesday afternoon, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Travis Sawchik reports.
Grilli, of course, won’t just be activated like that; he’ll have to make a handful of rehab appearances, but if he doesn’t suffer any setbacks, he could rejoin his teammates before the month of May expires.
Grilli blew two consecutive saves against the Brewers — both due to Ryan Braun homering — before the Pirates shut him down. In his absence, Mark Melancon has been handling closing duties and has done a great job, notching four of five saves with a 1.13 ERA and a 5/0 K/BB ratio in eight innings in his new role.
It’s unclear if the Pirates plan to reinsert Grilli into his previous role or wean him back into closing.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Throwing problems forced a move away from third base.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:03 AM EST
It’s his fourth straight year helping homeless charities.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Pittsburgh has done great work recently turning around the careers of pitchers.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Not that that necessarily means anything.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Gutierrez posted a 3.96 ERA and 44/16 K/BB ratio in 64 innings.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Charges were dismissed against him in August. It now appears he’s heading for trial.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:26 AM EST
Hope this doesn’t bring you down.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
I’d say “back by popular demand,” but I can’t find anyone, anywhere who demanded it.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:04 AM EST
The Dodgers get a potential solution for their setup man woes.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
The White Sox claimed a potentially promising arm in Onelki Garcia on a waiver claim from the Dodgers.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Pirates designated Ike Davis for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
The Mariners added some bullpen depth, claiming Edgar Olmos off waivers from the Marlins on Thursday.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:25 PM EST
The Padres and Royals made a trade ahead of the 40-man roster deadline.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
The Rays are expected to eschew Jose Molina from their 40-man roster ahead of the midnight deadline.
Nov 20, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Jose Canseco made up the whole thing about his reattached finger falling off and wanting to sell it on the Internet.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
The White Sox are apparently one of three teams showing interest in free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The Pirates picked up Pedro Florimon off waivers from the Nationals on Thursday evening.
Nov 20, 2014, 5:17 PM EST
Wheeler made his big-league debut this season when injuries wrecked the Yankees’ roster.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
As recently as mid-September manager Walt Weiss was talking Nicasio up as a reliever for 2015.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Could a team that is unloading salary go nine-figures on an outfielder?
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)