May 14, 2014, 1:49 PM EST
UPDATE: Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that Wolf has immediately signed with the Marlins and will presumably step into Jose Fernandez’s vacant rotation spot.
For the second time this season veteran left-hander Randy Wolf has opted out of a minor-league contract, asking for his release from the Diamondbacks after signing with Arizona a month ago.
Wolf previously asked to be released by the Mariners at the end of spring training despite securing a spot in their Opening Day rotation because he balked at agreeing to a 45-day release waiver request. And now the 37-year-old is a free agent again while trying to make a successful comeback from Tommy John surgery that knocked him out for all of 2013.
Wolf started six games at Triple-A for the Diamondbacks and struck out 35 batters in 34 innings, but he also walked 18 and posted a 4.50 ERA. His best shot to get back to the majors might be shifting to the bullpen.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)