May 14, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The Rangers have been snakebitten by injuries this year and the bad news keeps on piling up. The team placed starter Martin Perez on the disabled list with elbow discomfort earlier. Starter Matt Harrison returned from the disabled list on April 27 after dealing with back problems, but gave up three runs in 1 2/3 innings on Tuesday. The Rangers have placed Harrison on the disabled list again and recalled right-hander Miles Mikolas from Triple-A Round Rock to take his place on the roster. Nick Tepesch was called up from Round Rock to take Perez’s spot as well.
Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News reports that Perez has a partially torn UCL, which may require Tommy John surgery. Harrison has a displacement of a vertebra in his back along with significant nerve irritation. He can either deal with the discomfort or undergo spinal fusion surgery, which could possibly end his career.
You can’t say it any better than Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest did:
This has to rank right up there as one of darkest days in Rangers history.
— Anthony Andro (@aandro) May 14, 2014
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)