May 14, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The Rangers have been snakebitten by injuries this year and the bad news keeps on piling up. The team placed starter Martin Perez on the disabled list with elbow discomfort earlier. Starter Matt Harrison returned from the disabled list on April 27 after dealing with back problems, but gave up three runs in 1 2/3 innings on Tuesday. The Rangers have placed Harrison on the disabled list again and recalled right-hander Miles Mikolas from Triple-A Round Rock to take his place on the roster. Nick Tepesch was called up from Round Rock to take Perez’s spot as well.
Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News reports that Perez has a partially torn UCL, which may require Tommy John surgery. Harrison has a displacement of a vertebra in his back along with significant nerve irritation. He can either deal with the discomfort or undergo spinal fusion surgery, which could possibly end his career.
You can’t say it any better than Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest did:
This has to rank right up there as one of darkest days in Rangers history.
— Anthony Andro (@aandro) May 14, 2014
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 3
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 37
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (107)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)