May 14, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
The Rangers have been snakebitten by injuries this year and the bad news keeps on piling up. The team placed starter Martin Perez on the disabled list with elbow discomfort earlier. Starter Matt Harrison returned from the disabled list on April 27 after dealing with back problems, but gave up three runs in 1 2/3 innings on Tuesday. The Rangers have placed Harrison on the disabled list again and recalled right-hander Miles Mikolas from Triple-A Round Rock to take his place on the roster. Nick Tepesch was called up from Round Rock to take Perez’s spot as well.
Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News reports that Perez has a partially torn UCL, which may require Tommy John surgery. Harrison has a displacement of a vertebra in his back along with significant nerve irritation. He can either deal with the discomfort or undergo spinal fusion surgery, which could possibly end his career.
You can’t say it any better than Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest did:
This has to rank right up there as one of darkest days in Rangers history.
— Anthony Andro (@aandro) May 14, 2014
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)