May 14, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
The Rangers have been snakebitten by injuries this year and the bad news keeps on piling up. The team placed starter Martin Perez on the disabled list with elbow discomfort earlier. Starter Matt Harrison returned from the disabled list on April 27 after dealing with back problems, but gave up three runs in 1 2/3 innings on Tuesday. The Rangers have placed Harrison on the disabled list again and recalled right-hander Miles Mikolas from Triple-A Round Rock to take his place on the roster. Nick Tepesch was called up from Round Rock to take Perez’s spot as well.
Evan Grant of The Dallas Morning News reports that Perez has a partially torn UCL, which may require Tommy John surgery. Harrison has a displacement of a vertebra in his back along with significant nerve irritation. He can either deal with the discomfort or undergo spinal fusion surgery, which could possibly end his career.
You can’t say it any better than Anthony Andro of FOX Sports Southwest did:
This has to rank right up there as one of darkest days in Rangers history.
— Anthony Andro (@aandro) May 14, 2014
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 0
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)