May 14, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Royals third baseman Mike Moustakas is hitting .147 through 32 games, leading to speculation that he could be demoted back to the minors, but manager Ned Yost made it very clear yesterday that won’t be happening.
“I’m not doing it,” Yost told Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star. “Simple as that. I’m not really discussing it. He’s going to stay here right now.”
General manager Dayton Moore was slightly less extreme in his support of Moustakas, suggesting that a change could be made eventually, and at the very least it sounds like Danny Valencia will continue to eat into Moustakas’ playing time at third base.
Moustakas is a 25-year-old former No. 2 overall pick and was once a top prospect, so that helps explain why the Royals are showing so much patience with him. But every season he has a big spring training to get everyone excited and then fails to produce when the games matter. He’s a career .237 hitter with a .670 OPS and horrendous 280/103 K/BB ratio in 408 career games and has shown no real signs of improvement.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)