May 14, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
The Cubs and one of their sponsors is repainting the famous marquee outside Wrigley Field green today. It’s been red since the 60s, before that it was blue and yes, for a couple of years after it was first installed, the sign was green. So this is a historical thing:
Benjamin Moore painters and the team chipped away the paint in the upper left corner of the sign — digging through the purple that was used for the Northwestern-Illinois football game in 2010 and a layer of blue before finding the original dark green . . . Scraping away paint on the white stripes and lettering on the sign revealed an original gold color, which will be painted on today as well.
That’s kinda cool, and there are pictures of the details mentioned at the linked article. There is also this:
The marquee will remain green and gold until May 22, when it will be re-painted red.
As someone who has repainted most of the rooms of his house in the past year, I have to say the idea of painting anything and then going back and repainting a mere eight days later would make me want to cry.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)