May 15, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
The rumored deal between the A’s and Padres is reality, as Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union Tribune reports that Oakland has acquired outfielder/first baseman Kyle Blanks from San Diego for a pair of minor leaguers.
Blanks was once a top prospect and has always put up big numbers in the minors, but the 6-foot-6 slugger has struggled to stay healthy and his big-league production has been modest overall. However, he has 25-homer power with lots of plate discipline and could be a very nice fit in a part-time role with the platoon-friendly A’s.
Blanks has hit .295 with 33 homers and a .962 OPS in 141 games at Triple-A, so while he no longer projects as a potential star there’s still plenty of upside to be had at age 27 if he can just stay off the disabled list.
According to Lin the Padres will receive Triple-A outfielder Jake Goebbert and a player to be named later in exchange for Blanks. Goebbert was the Astros’ 13th-round pick in 2009 and came over to the A’s in the deal for Travis Blackley. He’s not much of a prospect at age 26, so unless the PTBNL proves substantial Blanks’ price tag was very reasonable.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)