May 15, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Jon Singleton is thriving at Triple-A and the Astros are getting horrendous production at first base, so it sounds like Houston may soon be ready to call up the 22-year-old top prospect.
Singleton, who was acquired from the Phillies in the Hunter Pence trade and ranked as a consensus top-100 prospect in each of the past four seasons, is hitting .293 with 12 homers and a 1.030 OPS in 38 games at Triple-A and he’s made good strides with his strikeout-to-walk ratio as well.
So when might he arrive in Houston? Here’s what general manager Jeff Luhnow told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com:
Singleton’s progressing. We see him as a guy who’s close to being able to contribute at the major league level. We’re excited. We’ve all seen the reaction the fans had at bringing up prospects like [George] Springer and last year with [Jarred] Cosart and we have more coming. I would say Singleton is on deck.
As usual service time considerations could play a part in Singleton’s call-up and late June would clear the various hurdles in terms of avoiding Super Two arbitration status down the road, but it might be tough to wait that long if he keeps posting a 1.000 OPS and the Astros’ first basemen keep hitting below .200.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (124)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)