May 15, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Jon Singleton is thriving at Triple-A and the Astros are getting horrendous production at first base, so it sounds like Houston may soon be ready to call up the 22-year-old top prospect.
Singleton, who was acquired from the Phillies in the Hunter Pence trade and ranked as a consensus top-100 prospect in each of the past four seasons, is hitting .293 with 12 homers and a 1.030 OPS in 38 games at Triple-A and he’s made good strides with his strikeout-to-walk ratio as well.
So when might he arrive in Houston? Here’s what general manager Jeff Luhnow told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com:
Singleton’s progressing. We see him as a guy who’s close to being able to contribute at the major league level. We’re excited. We’ve all seen the reaction the fans had at bringing up prospects like [George] Springer and last year with [Jarred] Cosart and we have more coming. I would say Singleton is on deck.
As usual service time considerations could play a part in Singleton’s call-up and late June would clear the various hurdles in terms of avoiding Super Two arbitration status down the road, but it might be tough to wait that long if he keeps posting a 1.000 OPS and the Astros’ first basemen keep hitting below .200.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)