May 15, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
After leaving yesterday’s game with a dislocated left thumb, Rays second baseman Ben Zobrist has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Zobrist suffered the injury on a head-first slide into second base while trying to avoid a tag on a stolen base attempt. He told Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune this evening that he hopes to return in 15 days, but won’t risk a setback by rushing things. The Rays have called up infielder Cole Figueroa to take his place on the active roster, but Sean Rodriguez and Logan Forsythe figure to see most of the playing time at second base for now.
Zobrist, who turns 33 later this month, is batting .260/.352/.364 with three home runs and nine RBI through 40 games this season.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (150)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)