May 15, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
After leaving yesterday’s game with a dislocated left thumb, Rays second baseman Ben Zobrist has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Zobrist suffered the injury on a head-first slide into second base while trying to avoid a tag on a stolen base attempt. He told Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune this evening that he hopes to return in 15 days, but won’t risk a setback by rushing things. The Rays have called up infielder Cole Figueroa to take his place on the active roster, but Sean Rodriguez and Logan Forsythe figure to see most of the playing time at second base for now.
Zobrist, who turns 33 later this month, is batting .260/.352/.364 with three home runs and nine RBI through 40 games this season.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)