May 15, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
After leaving yesterday’s game with a dislocated left thumb, Rays second baseman Ben Zobrist has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Zobrist suffered the injury on a head-first slide into second base while trying to avoid a tag on a stolen base attempt. He told Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune this evening that he hopes to return in 15 days, but won’t risk a setback by rushing things. The Rays have called up infielder Cole Figueroa to take his place on the active roster, but Sean Rodriguez and Logan Forsythe figure to see most of the playing time at second base for now.
Zobrist, who turns 33 later this month, is batting .260/.352/.364 with three home runs and nine RBI through 40 games this season.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)