May 15, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Dustin McGowan made for a interesting comeback story after earning a spot in the Blue Jays’ rotation out of spring training, but the club has decided to move him back to the bullpen after eight starts.
It’s probably for the best. McGowan, who has dealt with all sorts of injuries in recent years, allowed four runs in four innings against the Indians last night and owns a 5.08 ERA and 25/17 K/BB ratio over 39 innings this season. While the 32-year-old right-hander has already thrown his most innings in the majors since 2008, he averaged fewer than five innings per start. He told Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca that he knew a change was likely necessary after he had increased difficulty recovering between starts.
“After the Pittsburgh start (May 4), I just noticed it was getting more and more sore after every start,”he said. “When I started noticing stuff out of the normal, I knew it was time to probably say something to them about it. … I just didn’t want it to lead to something worse.”
McGowan will now return to the bullpen, where he posted a 2.45 ERA in 25 appearances last season. The Blue Jays have yet to decide who to replace him in the rotation, but top prospect Marcus Stroman and Todd Redmond are the most likely options.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)