May 15, 2014, 9:01 PM EST
Dustin McGowan made for a interesting comeback story after earning a spot in the Blue Jays’ rotation out of spring training, but the club has decided to move him back to the bullpen after eight starts.
It’s probably for the best. McGowan, who has dealt with all sorts of injuries in recent years, allowed four runs in four innings against the Indians last night and owns a 5.08 ERA and 25/17 K/BB ratio over 39 innings this season. While the 32-year-old right-hander has already thrown his most innings in the majors since 2008, he averaged fewer than five innings per start. He told Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca that he knew a change was likely necessary after he had increased difficulty recovering between starts.
“After the Pittsburgh start (May 4), I just noticed it was getting more and more sore after every start,”he said. “When I started noticing stuff out of the normal, I knew it was time to probably say something to them about it. … I just didn’t want it to lead to something worse.”
McGowan will now return to the bullpen, where he posted a 2.45 ERA in 25 appearances last season. The Blue Jays have yet to decide who to replace him in the rotation, but top prospect Marcus Stroman and Todd Redmond are the most likely options.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)