May 15, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Dellin Betances just wrapped up one of the most dominant relief outings one can possibly have.
Called on to relieve Chase Whitley in the bottom of the fifth inning against the Mets tonight, Betances got Eric Young, Jr. to ground out to third base to end a scoring threat and stand runners at second and third base. The 6-foot-8 right-hander then struck out the side in the sixth and seventh innings, showing off mid-90s heat on his fastball and a nasty knuckle-curve. Four of them were looking.
Betances was once a part of the “Killer Bs,” a group of highly-touted and hyped starting pitching prospects that also consisted of Manny Banuelos and Andrew Brackman, but he disappointed before moving to the bullpen full-time last year. And boy has he found a home there. The 26-year-old now has a ridiculous 1.61 ERA and 39 K/BB ratio over 22 1/3 innings this season. He’s averaging an eye-popping 15.88 K/9. Quite a weapon for New York’s bullpen.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)