May 15, 2014, 5:42 PM EST
A lot of the retirement gifts retiring legends like Mariano Rivera, Chipper Jones and Derek Jeter are odd. Either they try to hard on the symbolism — the broken bat rocking chair Mo got was inspired but what does one do with it? — they’re too pedestrian — “thanks, Astros. Did you get these cowboy boots in bulk?” — or they’re just plain weird.
But I gotta say, the gift the Mets gave Derek Jeter today as he closes out his final Subway Series is pretty spiffy:
Jeff Wilpon presents a piece of art made of Subway tiles to Jeter. Also a check for $22,222.22 for his foundation. pic.twitter.com/KhsT49IVVk
— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN) May 15, 2014
I love it. It’s simple — just his number — but the subway tiles make it inspired and symbolic. He can hang that someplace in his stately pleasure dome and it’ll be attractive, one of a kind and a conversation starter. The charitable donation is pretty sweet too.
Nice going, Mets.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)