May 15, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
A lot of the retirement gifts retiring legends like Mariano Rivera, Chipper Jones and Derek Jeter are odd. Either they try to hard on the symbolism — the broken bat rocking chair Mo got was inspired but what does one do with it? — they’re too pedestrian — “thanks, Astros. Did you get these cowboy boots in bulk?” — or they’re just plain weird.
But I gotta say, the gift the Mets gave Derek Jeter today as he closes out his final Subway Series is pretty spiffy:
Jeff Wilpon presents a piece of art made of Subway tiles to Jeter. Also a check for $22,222.22 for his foundation. pic.twitter.com/KhsT49IVVk
— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN) May 15, 2014
I love it. It’s simple — just his number — but the subway tiles make it inspired and symbolic. He can hang that someplace in his stately pleasure dome and it’ll be attractive, one of a kind and a conversation starter. The charitable donation is pretty sweet too.
Nice going, Mets.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 33
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 71
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (180)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)