May 15, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
A lot of the retirement gifts retiring legends like Mariano Rivera, Chipper Jones and Derek Jeter are odd. Either they try to hard on the symbolism — the broken bat rocking chair Mo got was inspired but what does one do with it? — they’re too pedestrian — “thanks, Astros. Did you get these cowboy boots in bulk?” — or they’re just plain weird.
But I gotta say, the gift the Mets gave Derek Jeter today as he closes out his final Subway Series is pretty spiffy:
Jeff Wilpon presents a piece of art made of Subway tiles to Jeter. Also a check for $22,222.22 for his foundation. pic.twitter.com/KhsT49IVVk
— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN) May 15, 2014
I love it. It’s simple — just his number — but the subway tiles make it inspired and symbolic. He can hang that someplace in his stately pleasure dome and it’ll be attractive, one of a kind and a conversation starter. The charitable donation is pretty sweet too.
Nice going, Mets.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)