May 15, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Fresh off being bumped from the starting rotation earlier this week, Jenrry Mejia could soon emerge as the Mets’ closer.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Mets manager Terry Collins told reporters this afternoon that Mejia will close against the Yankees tonight if a save situation arises. Collins isn’t ready to name him as the team’s permanent closer, as he wants to see him pitch on back-to-back days first, but it’s clear that’s what he would like to see.
“If we felt he was ready to go back-to-back days, possibly three days in a row, he would be the guy. But he is not at that stage yet,” Collins said.
As Rubin notes, Mejia hasn’t pitched on back-to-back days in his professional career since June 5-6, 2010. Of course, that was during his ill-fated first stint in the majors as a reliever. He got hurt soon after that and has been opposed to relief work ever since. The physical hurdle might be easier than the mental one.
Mejia, 24, posted a 5.04 ERA and 38/20 K/BB ratio in 37 1/3 innings across seven starts prior to being moved to the bullpen earlier this week. He struck out two batters and allowed two hits over 1 1/3 scoreless innings during his first relief appearance on Monday.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)