May 15, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Fresh off being bumped from the starting rotation earlier this week, Jenrry Mejia could soon emerge as the Mets’ closer.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Mets manager Terry Collins told reporters this afternoon that Mejia will close against the Yankees tonight if a save situation arises. Collins isn’t ready to name him as the team’s permanent closer, as he wants to see him pitch on back-to-back days first, but it’s clear that’s what he would like to see.
“If we felt he was ready to go back-to-back days, possibly three days in a row, he would be the guy. But he is not at that stage yet,” Collins said.
As Rubin notes, Mejia hasn’t pitched on back-to-back days in his professional career since June 5-6, 2010. Of course, that was during his ill-fated first stint in the majors as a reliever. He got hurt soon after that and has been opposed to relief work ever since. The physical hurdle might be easier than the mental one.
Mejia, 24, posted a 5.04 ERA and 38/20 K/BB ratio in 37 1/3 innings across seven starts prior to being moved to the bullpen earlier this week. He struck out two batters and allowed two hits over 1 1/3 scoreless innings during his first relief appearance on Monday.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (91)