May 15, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Your Friday: better than Jose Fernandez’s:
Marlins star pitcher Jose Fernandez is scheduled to have Tommy John surgery Friday morning in Los Angeles, league sources said . . . Noted surgeon Neal ElAttrache will perform the surgery.
Actually, his Friday will likely still be better. Sure, that whole reconstructive surgery part is gonna stink, but he still got a $2 million signing bonus a couple of years ago, is making $635,000 this year regardless and, by the time his elbow is healed, will be on track to make millions and millions more. Yes, that’s the future, but he can sit in his hospital bed, chat with Dr. ElAttrache about how cool it is to be young, talented awesome and rich and then maybe watch a ballgame or whatever.
Yeah, a good Friday, all things considered.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 14
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 54
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)