May 15, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Your Friday: better than Jose Fernandez’s:
Marlins star pitcher Jose Fernandez is scheduled to have Tommy John surgery Friday morning in Los Angeles, league sources said . . . Noted surgeon Neal ElAttrache will perform the surgery.
Actually, his Friday will likely still be better. Sure, that whole reconstructive surgery part is gonna stink, but he still got a $2 million signing bonus a couple of years ago, is making $635,000 this year regardless and, by the time his elbow is healed, will be on track to make millions and millions more. Yes, that’s the future, but he can sit in his hospital bed, chat with Dr. ElAttrache about how cool it is to be young, talented awesome and rich and then maybe watch a ballgame or whatever.
Yeah, a good Friday, all things considered.
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 3
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 26
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)