May 15, 2014, 3:20 PM EST
Your Friday: better than Jose Fernandez’s:
Marlins star pitcher Jose Fernandez is scheduled to have Tommy John surgery Friday morning in Los Angeles, league sources said . . . Noted surgeon Neal ElAttrache will perform the surgery.
Actually, his Friday will likely still be better. Sure, that whole reconstructive surgery part is gonna stink, but he still got a $2 million signing bonus a couple of years ago, is making $635,000 this year regardless and, by the time his elbow is healed, will be on track to make millions and millions more. Yes, that’s the future, but he can sit in his hospital bed, chat with Dr. ElAttrache about how cool it is to be young, talented awesome and rich and then maybe watch a ballgame or whatever.
Yeah, a good Friday, all things considered.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)