May 15, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
The Rangers announced yesterday that left-hander Martin Perez was diagnosed with a partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow. According to Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News, Martin told Venezuelan publication Lavinotinto that he will join the long list of pitchers to have Tommy John surgery this year:
According to Marcus Grunfeld of the publication, Perez said he and his agent will decide on Friday when to have the surgery to repair a partially torn ligament.
Perez also had the option of trying to return after a rehabilitation period of 10 to 12 weeks.
“Having an operation is the most convenient thing,” Perez said, according to Lavinotinto.
Perez, who signed a four-year, $12.5 million extension over the winter, figures to be sidelined through the early part of the 2015 season. Matt Harrison has a displacement of a verterba in his back and is no sure thing to even pitch again, so the Rangers continue to face big challenges in their starting rotation. On the positive side of things, Nick Tepesch pitched well yesterday against the Astros and Derek Holland is getting closer to returning from knee surgery.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 0
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 19
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 35
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 47
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)