May 15, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
The Rangers announced yesterday that left-hander Martin Perez was diagnosed with a partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow. According to Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News, Martin told Venezuelan publication Lavinotinto that he will join the long list of pitchers to have Tommy John surgery this year:
According to Marcus Grunfeld of the publication, Perez said he and his agent will decide on Friday when to have the surgery to repair a partially torn ligament.
Perez also had the option of trying to return after a rehabilitation period of 10 to 12 weeks.
“Having an operation is the most convenient thing,” Perez said, according to Lavinotinto.
Perez, who signed a four-year, $12.5 million extension over the winter, figures to be sidelined through the early part of the 2015 season. Matt Harrison has a displacement of a verterba in his back and is no sure thing to even pitch again, so the Rangers continue to face big challenges in their starting rotation. On the positive side of things, Nick Tepesch pitched well yesterday against the Astros and Derek Holland is getting closer to returning from knee surgery.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 118
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 30
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 35
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (129)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)