Chris Getz retires at age 30

May 16, 2014, 10:47 AM EST

Chris Getz, Adam Dunn AP

Veteran infielder Chris Getz was designated for assignment by the Blue Jays and passed through waivers unclaimed, but rather than report to Triple-A he’s decided to retire at age 30.

Here’s what he told Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish:

I’ve enjoyed every minute that I’ve played and will always be passionate about the game. I’m starting a family, and I’m interested in other endeavors both inside and outside of the game.

Getz played parts of seven seasons in the majors for the White Sox, Royals, and Blue Jays, hitting .250 with three homers, 89 steals, and a .616 OPS in 459 games spent mostly at second base. And he earned around $3.5 million for his career, with a high of $1.05 million last season with the Royals before signing a minor-league deal this year.

1. renaado - May 16, 2014 at 10:59 AM

“I’ve enjoyed every minute that I’ve played and will always be passionate about the game. I’m starting a family, and I’m interested in other endeavors both inside and outside of the game.”

Gotta tip my cap on that.

• kcroyal - May 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Doesn’t hurt that his wife is insanely attractive. Whatever Chris wants, Chris Getz.

2. philliesblow - May 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM

It’s a shame we won’t see this anymore.

3. rawdog2013 - May 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Lol @kcroyal

4. gosuhgo - May 16, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Hope he comes back home, he still holds all of my city’s HS baseball records. Was great to see him play in the bigs.

• seeinred87 - May 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM

I graduated with his sister, so it would appear we went to school in the same city.

I’ve always been a fan of Chris Getz. Sucks to see him retire and I certainly do wish him the best

5. biasedhomer - May 17, 2014 at 12:10 AM

He had a pretty decent rookie season, never really made progress on it though

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4145)