May 16, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Dodgers right-hander Brian Wilson has a 10.22 ERA this season, allowing 15 runs in 16 appearances while occasionally struggling to crack 90 miles per hour with his once-overpowering fastball.
That’s quite a change from last season, when Wilson returned from Tommy John surgery to throw 13.2 innings with a 0.66 ERA and convinced the Dodgers to re-sign him to a one-year, $10 million deal with an $8.5 million player option for 2015.
All of which is why manager Don Mattingly sounds worried about Wilson when talking to Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times:
You couldn’t see the velocity out there. Some of those are 88-89, stuff like that, even less. It does concern us a little bit, but then toward the end of the inning, he’s dialing it up. The other day he comes out, it’s 88-90. By the end of the inning he’s throwing 96. But there are concerns.
When asked if Wilson is injured, Mattingly replied: “He says he’s healthy.” Not exactly a ringing endorsement, especially considering he began the season on the disabled list with an elbow problem.
And that $8.5 million player option is looking like a sure thing to get picked up this offseason.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)