May 16, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports that the Phillies have placed pitcher Jonathan Pettibone on the Triple-A disabled list due to more shoulder discomfort. The 23-year-old right-hander first experienced shoulder problems in late July last season when he strained his rotator cuff, ending his season. Pettibone made just one two-inning appearance during spring training this year as he showed up to camp with more inflammation in his shoulder.
Pettibone started the season with the Lehigh Valley IronPigs, but made two starts for the Phillies in mid-April — one good, one very bad — before returning to the minor leagues. In five starts with the IronPigs, Pettibone had a 3.42 ERA with a 13/6 K/BB ratio in 26 1/3 innings.
It’s a blow to the Phillies, who are tenuously thin on starting pitching depth. Should the Phillies need a spot starter, Jeff Manship — currently working out of the bullpen — would be the first candidate. Otherwise, the Phillies would need to make room on the 40-man roster for someone like David Buchanan.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 86
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)