May 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Jayson Nix is back with the Rays. The Rays traded the utilityman to the Phillies at the end of March for cash considerations, and the Phillies put him to use, playing him at second base, third base, and shortstop. However, he posted a meager .445 OPS in 43 plate appearances and the Phillies outrighted him to Triple-A Lehigh Valley on Monday. Rather than accept the assignment, Nix elected free agency.
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Rays have signed Nix to a minor league deal with an opt-out date of July 15. Nix, 31, will report to Triple-A Durham. With Ben Zobrist sidelined with a dislocated thumb, Nix will serve as infield depth behind Logan Forsythe, Sean Rodriguez, and Cole Figueroa.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)