May 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Jayson Nix is back with the Rays. The Rays traded the utilityman to the Phillies at the end of March for cash considerations, and the Phillies put him to use, playing him at second base, third base, and shortstop. However, he posted a meager .445 OPS in 43 plate appearances and the Phillies outrighted him to Triple-A Lehigh Valley on Monday. Rather than accept the assignment, Nix elected free agency.
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Rays have signed Nix to a minor league deal with an opt-out date of July 15. Nix, 31, will report to Triple-A Durham. With Ben Zobrist sidelined with a dislocated thumb, Nix will serve as infield depth behind Logan Forsythe, Sean Rodriguez, and Cole Figueroa.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 40
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)