May 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Jayson Nix is back with the Rays. The Rays traded the utilityman to the Phillies at the end of March for cash considerations, and the Phillies put him to use, playing him at second base, third base, and shortstop. However, he posted a meager .445 OPS in 43 plate appearances and the Phillies outrighted him to Triple-A Lehigh Valley on Monday. Rather than accept the assignment, Nix elected free agency.
Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Rays have signed Nix to a minor league deal with an opt-out date of July 15. Nix, 31, will report to Triple-A Durham. With Ben Zobrist sidelined with a dislocated thumb, Nix will serve as infield depth behind Logan Forsythe, Sean Rodriguez, and Cole Figueroa.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 19
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 48
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 11
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)