May 16, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Reds have activated catcher Devin Mesoraco from the 15-day disabled list and designated pitcher Jeff Francis for assignment. Nick Christiani, the 26th man added to the roster for Thursday’s double-header against the Padres, was demoted back to Triple-A Louisville.
Mesoraco went on the disabled list on April 26 with a strained left hamstring. It was a big blow for the Reds as Mesoraco started the season on fire, slashing .468/.509/.787 in his first 53 plate appearances. He made three rehab starts with Louisville, logging two singles and a home run in ten plate appearances. Mesoraco is in Friday night’s starting lineup against the Phillies. Brayan Pena, who had been catching in Mesoraco’s absence, will start at first base in place of the injured Joey Votto.
Francis was called up to pitch the second half of Thursday’s double-header. The 33-year-old lefty, now a ten-year major league veteran, allowed three runs on five hits and no walks while striking out four over four innings. Francis had been pitching well with Louisville beforehand, posting a 3.33 ERA with a 45/12 K/BB ratio in 48 2/3 innings.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (354)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (195)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)