May 16, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Reds have activated catcher Devin Mesoraco from the 15-day disabled list and designated pitcher Jeff Francis for assignment. Nick Christiani, the 26th man added to the roster for Thursday’s double-header against the Padres, was demoted back to Triple-A Louisville.
Mesoraco went on the disabled list on April 26 with a strained left hamstring. It was a big blow for the Reds as Mesoraco started the season on fire, slashing .468/.509/.787 in his first 53 plate appearances. He made three rehab starts with Louisville, logging two singles and a home run in ten plate appearances. Mesoraco is in Friday night’s starting lineup against the Phillies. Brayan Pena, who had been catching in Mesoraco’s absence, will start at first base in place of the injured Joey Votto.
Francis was called up to pitch the second half of Thursday’s double-header. The 33-year-old lefty, now a ten-year major league veteran, allowed three runs on five hits and no walks while striking out four over four innings. Francis had been pitching well with Louisville beforehand, posting a 3.33 ERA with a 45/12 K/BB ratio in 48 2/3 innings.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)