May 16, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Reds have activated catcher Devin Mesoraco from the 15-day disabled list and designated pitcher Jeff Francis for assignment. Nick Christiani, the 26th man added to the roster for Thursday’s double-header against the Padres, was demoted back to Triple-A Louisville.
Mesoraco went on the disabled list on April 26 with a strained left hamstring. It was a big blow for the Reds as Mesoraco started the season on fire, slashing .468/.509/.787 in his first 53 plate appearances. He made three rehab starts with Louisville, logging two singles and a home run in ten plate appearances. Mesoraco is in Friday night’s starting lineup against the Phillies. Brayan Pena, who had been catching in Mesoraco’s absence, will start at first base in place of the injured Joey Votto.
Francis was called up to pitch the second half of Thursday’s double-header. The 33-year-old lefty, now a ten-year major league veteran, allowed three runs on five hits and no walks while striking out four over four innings. Francis had been pitching well with Louisville beforehand, posting a 3.33 ERA with a 45/12 K/BB ratio in 48 2/3 innings.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $45,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Friday night’s MLB games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,000. Starts at 7:05pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)