Report: Mitch Williams called a ten-year-old a “pu**y” and ordered a beanball to take out an opposing pitcher
May 16, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Earlier this week Deadspin reported that, over the weekend, Mitch Williams lost his temper and had a long and nasty argument with an umpire during a Cal Ripken League tournament in which he was coaching. Now there’s more: Deadspin reports that Williams called a ten-year-old kid on the other team a “pu**y” and ordered a beanball. There is video over at Deadspin of the incident, described thusly:
Multiple witnesses report that interaction consisted of Williams calling the SJ Titans pitcher “a pu**y.” Children on the team heard this, and one asked his parent on the ride home what it meant .
A second video shows a pitcher-catcher meeting of Williams’ players. Context:
SJ Titans coaches and players overheard this interaction, and report that Williams ordered his pitcher to intentionally hit the SJ Titans batter with the first pitch. One witness told us it was in an attempt to knock the SJ Titans pitcher out of the game.
This is absolutely vile. It obviously has no place in youth baseball and, if Williams doesn’t have a compelling explanation of how everyone Deadspin spoke to is lying or wrong, he has no business coaching kids.
I’ll take it one step further: if all of this is true, I’d fire Williams from his job at MLB Network if it was up to me. There are plenty of ex-ballplayers who can talk about the game who don’t happen to be awful human beings. It’s already hard enough to watch any show on which Williams appears due to his usually incoherent analysis, but knowing what kind of a guy he is makes me not want to watch a moment of him on TV at all.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)