Report: Mitch Williams called a ten-year-old a “pu**y” and ordered a beanball to take out an opposing pitcher

May 16, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT

Mitch Williams

Earlier this week Deadspin reported that, over the weekend, Mitch Williams lost his temper and had a long and nasty argument with an umpire during a Cal Ripken League tournament in which he was coaching. Now there’s more: Deadspin reports that Williams called a ten-year-old kid on the other team a “pu**y” and ordered a beanball. There is video over at Deadspin of the incident, described thusly:

Multiple witnesses report that interaction consisted of Williams calling the SJ Titans pitcher “a pu**y.” Children on the team heard this, and one asked his parent on the ride home what it meant .

A second video shows a pitcher-catcher meeting of Williams’ players. Context:

SJ Titans coaches and players overheard this interaction, and report that Williams ordered his pitcher to intentionally hit the SJ Titans batter with the first pitch. One witness told us it was in an attempt to knock the SJ Titans pitcher out of the game.

This is absolutely vile. It obviously has no place in youth baseball and, if Williams doesn’t have a compelling explanation of how everyone Deadspin spoke to is lying or wrong, he has no business coaching kids.

I’ll take it one step further: if all of this is true, I’d fire Williams from his job at MLB Network if it was up to me. There are plenty of ex-ballplayers who can talk about the game who don’t happen to be awful human beings. It’s already hard enough to watch any show on which Williams appears due to his usually incoherent analysis, but knowing what kind of a guy he is makes me not want to watch a moment of him on TV at all.

1. drunkenhooliganism - May 16, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I’m a nonviolent man. I haven’t been involved in anything above heated words with another person since I left high school. But, if I knew anyone had ordered their pitcher to throw at my son (or anyone I coach, currently 6 and 7 year olds), I would go after him with a bat.

Sadly, I’m old and slow. So, every parent in the stands would post phone videos of me with a little leaguer’s tiny bat chasing Mitch Williams around the outfield until the cops came.

I think if I go for the knees first, it would slow him down so I could get him.

And I’d probably wuss out when he’s lying in the fetal position begging to not be hit with a bat.

• thetoolsofignorance - May 16, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I’m old and slow too. If we relay chased him we could get him. Then we break some stuff on him. Nothing major. Few fingers, maybe that skinny bone on the outside of his lower leg. Stuff that’ll heal but leave him with the lasting reminders of the rage of old men who don’t like people ordering the injury of children

• moogro - May 17, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Take his tongue.

• alangyo - May 17, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Craig, or anyone, at what point can or does the law get involved? I guess since no physical violence actually occurred there probably isnt much that can happen, but it seems like the actions of Williams are borderline criminal and abusive.

• mangoman1966 - May 18, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Hey I’m 64 and decent shape except for arthritis in shoulders and knees. Can I join in

2. wilmyers09 - May 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I respected Williams but now nope

• sabatimus - May 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I didn’t respect Williams based on his commentary, and now I have even less reason to respect him. I hope MLB Network cans him.

3. username5891 - May 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Seems about the normal behavior of grown ups involved in little league baseball don’t know why that’s the case now but every league has at least 2 douche coaches in it

• mybrunoblog - May 16, 2014 at 9:27 PM

You are right. Put 10 Little league or travel baseball coaches in a room and you will undoubtedly find two complete Dbags.

4. bpearse230 - May 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM

So I guess we know who Kenny Powers is based on.

• JuniorGriffey'sRecliner - May 16, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Good call. That’s exactly what I thought of.

Kenny F’in Powers is a combination of a few players.

John Rocker for sure, and Mitch Williams among others.

5. strangebrew22 - May 16, 2014 at 5:59 PM

You tell ‘em, Craig

6. Dogsweat - May 16, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Look up “Orange County Native” and it will show MW as it’s perfect citizen.

This is a place that has segregated bathrooms and water fountains, so what did you expect from him? He is only parroting where he came from, bullying and bigotry are the character and nature of the OC AKA Outhouse Central.

The TV Show was pure deception.

• clydeserra - May 16, 2014 at 11:17 PM

to be fair, there hasn’t been any bigotry shown.

• Dogsweat - May 16, 2014 at 11:46 PM

No, only the bullying of a child.

7. provguard - May 16, 2014 at 6:52 PM

MLB get rid of this jerk. He is bias in his on air reporting and for some reason, I have no problem believing this story…

8. largebill - May 16, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Craig, We hardly ever are in agreement, but definitely agree this time.Williams should not be involved at all in youth sports. Also, agree that MLB Network should seriously reconsider whether they want to be associated with someone like him.

9. barrywhererufrom - May 16, 2014 at 7:42 PM

This is so crazy.. As a baseball coach or more importantly as a human being I find this sickening. These are men they are young boys..what in the world was william’s thinking..

10. jbones77 - May 16, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I didn’t know Buttermaker was still coaching

• clydeserra - May 16, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Tell us about the time you struck out joe carter, coach williams!

11. slaugin - May 16, 2014 at 7:57 PM

1. There is at least one of these coaches in every league
    2. Would a 30 mph beanball really knock a kid out of a game?
    3. If a 10 yr old doesn’t know what a Pu**y is, well than he’s gonna have a tough time being a teenager
    4. We all knew Mitch was a red neck P.OS. So what’s changed?

• Kevin S. - May 16, 2014 at 8:01 PM

1. Then every league needs to kick out their respective coaches like that
      2. When I was 10, I could throw a lot harder than 30 mph, and I sucked. Also, a ten y.o. boy’s body isn’t close to being developed, and could be hurt greatly by a pitch a grown man would brush off.
      3. So this justifies Mitch calling a kid one?
      4. What’s changed is we now know he has no problem verbally and physically abusing kids to win a friggin’ Little League game.

• jwbiii - May 16, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I don’t always agree with you, but I’ve your back, will stand by your side, or will walk point on this one.

12. yahmule - May 16, 2014 at 8:55 PM

He needs to be:
    1) Removed from the league for life and the Ripkens are straight up gutless if they cover for him.
    2) Fired from MLB Network. The silver lining to all of this.
    3) Shunned.

13. nolasoxfan2012 - May 16, 2014 at 11:51 PM

I’m sitting here trying to think of how I would NOT end up in prison for manslaughter if I thought the opposing coach was having his pitcher throw at my 10-year old son. I don’t think I’d be alone. These aren’t even Little Leaguers. That’s 12 and under. These are kids who would look up at Little Leaguers as older kids. How is this not child endangerment or abuse? Why did the parents do nothing? Why didn’t the coach walk his team off the field as soon as he thought this was going on? These are things I do not understand.

14. ch0psuey - May 17, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I tried to downplay Mitch Williams actions as I enjoyed him on MLB-N. But all the evidence shows he is a grade-A @sshole or possibly a drunk. I can’t see there ever being a place in a 10yr old baseball tourny where Pu**y has any place, holy hell.

15. moogro - May 17, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Wow. Rare universal consensus on this article.

He must have been deluded into thinking he was giving a diamond demo of a drunken MLB manager. He shouldn’t be coaching. But I would also love it if he wasn’t on my TV. Not hopeful about that- MLBN is pretty invested in him.

16. dj4900 - May 17, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Sorry, just totally out of adjectives to describe this thing pretending to be a human being.

17. strictlythedanks - May 17, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Love it. Very Kenny Powers-esque

18. schreibdave - May 17, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Daily new reporting that he is taking a LOA from MLB network. Probably to focus on his youth coaching career.

Hope his kid grows up to be a great baseball player because with MW as his father, he will end up as a terrible human being.

19. ralphwilsonisrich - May 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Isn’ t that guy from the TV show Gas Monkey

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3153)