May 16, 2014, 11:03 AM EST
The Mets scored lots of runs against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium and then came back to Citi Field and the offense sputtered again, resulting in back-to-back shutouts. Terry Collins was asked about whether the ballpark has something to do with it:
One night after making the claim that three fly-ball outs would have been home runs in Yankee Stadium, he said he believes Citi Field’s dimensions were a major factor in going from scoring 21 runs in the Bronx to zero at home.
“A lot of it has to do with that, for sure,” he said.
If Collins is even acknowledging it with quotes like that you have to figure that a lot of Mets players are complaining about it privately.
Which, at this point, is pretty lame. They’ve been in that park a long time. It plays big, yes, but it plays big for both sides. And the Mets’ side, it should be noted, has not been nearly as talented as the visitors’ side for quite a while now. The last two days they faced Masahiro Tanaka and a fresh bunch of powerful bullpen arms. It happens.
Play better or go get players who are better. Quit putting it on the park.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)