May 16, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
The Mets scored lots of runs against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium and then came back to Citi Field and the offense sputtered again, resulting in back-to-back shutouts. Terry Collins was asked about whether the ballpark has something to do with it:
One night after making the claim that three fly-ball outs would have been home runs in Yankee Stadium, he said he believes Citi Field’s dimensions were a major factor in going from scoring 21 runs in the Bronx to zero at home.
“A lot of it has to do with that, for sure,” he said.
If Collins is even acknowledging it with quotes like that you have to figure that a lot of Mets players are complaining about it privately.
Which, at this point, is pretty lame. They’ve been in that park a long time. It plays big, yes, but it plays big for both sides. And the Mets’ side, it should be noted, has not been nearly as talented as the visitors’ side for quite a while now. The last two days they faced Masahiro Tanaka and a fresh bunch of powerful bullpen arms. It happens.
Play better or go get players who are better. Quit putting it on the park.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)