May 16, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
The Mets scored lots of runs against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium and then came back to Citi Field and the offense sputtered again, resulting in back-to-back shutouts. Terry Collins was asked about whether the ballpark has something to do with it:
One night after making the claim that three fly-ball outs would have been home runs in Yankee Stadium, he said he believes Citi Field’s dimensions were a major factor in going from scoring 21 runs in the Bronx to zero at home.
“A lot of it has to do with that, for sure,” he said.
If Collins is even acknowledging it with quotes like that you have to figure that a lot of Mets players are complaining about it privately.
Which, at this point, is pretty lame. They’ve been in that park a long time. It plays big, yes, but it plays big for both sides. And the Mets’ side, it should be noted, has not been nearly as talented as the visitors’ side for quite a while now. The last two days they faced Masahiro Tanaka and a fresh bunch of powerful bullpen arms. It happens.
Play better or go get players who are better. Quit putting it on the park.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)