May 17, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
A’s first baseman Daric Barton passed through waivers unclaimed after being designated for assignment and has decided to remain in the organization at Triple-A rather than become a free agent.
This is actually the third time Barton has gone unclaimed on waivers after being dropped from the A’s 40-man roster and it’ll be the eighth different season in which he’s spent at least some time at Triple-A Sacramento.
Barton was once considered among the elite hitting prospects in baseball before being traded from the Cardinals to the A’s along with Dan Haren for Mark Mulder, but he’s hit just .247 with a .721 OPS in the majors and has really struggled since a nice 2010 season as a 24-year-old.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 1
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 87
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (88)