May 17, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
A’s first baseman Daric Barton passed through waivers unclaimed after being designated for assignment and has decided to remain in the organization at Triple-A rather than become a free agent.
This is actually the third time Barton has gone unclaimed on waivers after being dropped from the A’s 40-man roster and it’ll be the eighth different season in which he’s spent at least some time at Triple-A Sacramento.
Barton was once considered among the elite hitting prospects in baseball before being traded from the Cardinals to the A’s along with Dan Haren for Mark Mulder, but he’s hit just .247 with a .721 OPS in the majors and has really struggled since a nice 2010 season as a 24-year-old.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (121)