May 17, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
A’s first baseman Daric Barton passed through waivers unclaimed after being designated for assignment and has decided to remain in the organization at Triple-A rather than become a free agent.
This is actually the third time Barton has gone unclaimed on waivers after being dropped from the A’s 40-man roster and it’ll be the eighth different season in which he’s spent at least some time at Triple-A Sacramento.
Barton was once considered among the elite hitting prospects in baseball before being traded from the Cardinals to the A’s along with Dan Haren for Mark Mulder, but he’s hit just .247 with a .721 OPS in the majors and has really struggled since a nice 2010 season as a 24-year-old.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)