May 17, 2014, 3:24 PM EDT
A’s first baseman Daric Barton passed through waivers unclaimed after being designated for assignment and has decided to remain in the organization at Triple-A rather than become a free agent.
This is actually the third time Barton has gone unclaimed on waivers after being dropped from the A’s 40-man roster and it’ll be the eighth different season in which he’s spent at least some time at Triple-A Sacramento.
Barton was once considered among the elite hitting prospects in baseball before being traded from the Cardinals to the A’s along with Dan Haren for Mark Mulder, but he’s hit just .247 with a .721 OPS in the majors and has really struggled since a nice 2010 season as a 24-year-old.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)