May 17, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that the Indians could get DH Jason Giambi back as early as Tuesday. Manager Terry Francona says Giambi won’t need to go out on a rehab assignment in the minor leagues. They would prefer to activate him on Tuesday rather than Monday as the Indians will be facing a left-handed starter in Drew Smyly of the Tigers.
Giambi, 43, has been out since May 3 with a strained right calf. He was hitless in 11 plate appearances to begin the season. Giambi had begun the season on the disabled list due to a broken rib after he was hit by a pitch during spring training.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 3
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 180
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (180)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)