May 17, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that the Indians could get DH Jason Giambi back as early as Tuesday. Manager Terry Francona says Giambi won’t need to go out on a rehab assignment in the minor leagues. They would prefer to activate him on Tuesday rather than Monday as the Indians will be facing a left-handed starter in Drew Smyly of the Tigers.
Giambi, 43, has been out since May 3 with a strained right calf. He was hitless in 11 plate appearances to begin the season. Giambi had begun the season on the disabled list due to a broken rib after he was hit by a pitch during spring training.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 6
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 24
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)