May 17, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that the Indians could get DH Jason Giambi back as early as Tuesday. Manager Terry Francona says Giambi won’t need to go out on a rehab assignment in the minor leagues. They would prefer to activate him on Tuesday rather than Monday as the Indians will be facing a left-handed starter in Drew Smyly of the Tigers.
Giambi, 43, has been out since May 3 with a strained right calf. He was hitless in 11 plate appearances to begin the season. Giambi had begun the season on the disabled list due to a broken rib after he was hit by a pitch during spring training.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)