May 17, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that the Indians could get DH Jason Giambi back as early as Tuesday. Manager Terry Francona says Giambi won’t need to go out on a rehab assignment in the minor leagues. They would prefer to activate him on Tuesday rather than Monday as the Indians will be facing a left-handed starter in Drew Smyly of the Tigers.
Giambi, 43, has been out since May 3 with a strained right calf. He was hitless in 11 plate appearances to begin the season. Giambi had begun the season on the disabled list due to a broken rib after he was hit by a pitch during spring training.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)