May 17, 2014, 10:17 AM EDT
Expected to miss 4-6 weeks when he fractured his right thumb five weeks ago, Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman remains on the disabled list and said yesterday that there’s no timetable yet for his return.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Zimmerman will undergo X-rays Monday and could be cleared to begin a strengthening program is it shows sufficient healing has taken place.
However, according to Kilgore because Zimmerman has not been able to do any throwing since suffering the thumb injury in mid-April his chronic right shoulder problems could further delay his return. In other words, more so than other players Zimmerman can’t just take a month-plus off from throwing and then pick up right where he left off.
It sure seems like he’s going to miss a lot more than six weeks.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 24
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 5
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 11
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 20
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)