May 17, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Expected to miss 4-6 weeks when he fractured his right thumb five weeks ago, Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman remains on the disabled list and said yesterday that there’s no timetable yet for his return.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Zimmerman will undergo X-rays Monday and could be cleared to begin a strengthening program is it shows sufficient healing has taken place.
However, according to Kilgore because Zimmerman has not been able to do any throwing since suffering the thumb injury in mid-April his chronic right shoulder problems could further delay his return. In other words, more so than other players Zimmerman can’t just take a month-plus off from throwing and then pick up right where he left off.
It sure seems like he’s going to miss a lot more than six weeks.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)