May 17, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Expected to miss 4-6 weeks when he fractured his right thumb five weeks ago, Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman remains on the disabled list and said yesterday that there’s no timetable yet for his return.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Zimmerman will undergo X-rays Monday and could be cleared to begin a strengthening program is it shows sufficient healing has taken place.
However, according to Kilgore because Zimmerman has not been able to do any throwing since suffering the thumb injury in mid-April his chronic right shoulder problems could further delay his return. In other words, more so than other players Zimmerman can’t just take a month-plus off from throwing and then pick up right where he left off.
It sure seems like he’s going to miss a lot more than six weeks.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 18
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)