May 17, 2014, 10:17 AM EDT
Expected to miss 4-6 weeks when he fractured his right thumb five weeks ago, Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman remains on the disabled list and said yesterday that there’s no timetable yet for his return.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Zimmerman will undergo X-rays Monday and could be cleared to begin a strengthening program is it shows sufficient healing has taken place.
However, according to Kilgore because Zimmerman has not been able to do any throwing since suffering the thumb injury in mid-April his chronic right shoulder problems could further delay his return. In other words, more so than other players Zimmerman can’t just take a month-plus off from throwing and then pick up right where he left off.
It sure seems like he’s going to miss a lot more than six weeks.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)