May 17, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Cashner was off to a great start this year, starting nine games with a 2.35 ERA and 47/17 K/BB ratio in 57 innings to build off a breakout 2013 campaign in which he joined the rotation full time with a 3.09 ERA in 175 innings.
Durability has always been an issue for Cashner and last season he topped his previous career-high workload by nearly 60 innings, but both in terms of velocity and performance there’s been little sign of trouble until now.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)