May 17, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
With the Mets up 5-2 in the bottom of the sixth inning, starter Bartolo Colon threw a 3-2 two-seam fastball to Jayson Werth. Werth skied it to straightaway centerfield and it had home run distance. Lagares had other ideas, leaping up and snagging the ball before it could land for a solo home run.
Watch the great grab:
Lagares also hit a two-run homer. I hope manager Terry Collins was watching.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 10
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 50
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 41
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72