May 17, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
Prince Fielder is not in Saturday night’s lineup for the Rangers, ending a streak in which he has played in 547 consecutive games. MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan reports that Fielder has been diagnosed with a herniated disk in his neck and will be sidelined for at least a couple of games. He’ll receive a nerve-blocking injection which could allow Fielder to get back into the lineup on Tuesday.
Fielder has had a hard time at the plate in his first season with the Rangers, slashing .247/.360/.360 in 178 plate appearances. Fielder said the herniated disk has been an issue that he has been dealing with even during his time with the Tigers last season.
The Rangers are expected to demote a reliever to clear up a roster spot and call up a position player, likely Daniel Robertson.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (121)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)