May 17, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
Prince Fielder is not in Saturday night’s lineup for the Rangers, ending a streak in which he has played in 547 consecutive games. MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan reports that Fielder has been diagnosed with a herniated disk in his neck and will be sidelined for at least a couple of games. He’ll receive a nerve-blocking injection which could allow Fielder to get back into the lineup on Tuesday.
Fielder has had a hard time at the plate in his first season with the Rangers, slashing .247/.360/.360 in 178 plate appearances. Fielder said the herniated disk has been an issue that he has been dealing with even during his time with the Tigers last season.
The Rangers are expected to demote a reliever to clear up a roster spot and call up a position player, likely Daniel Robertson.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)