May 17, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Middlebrooks actually played through the injury all week after sitting out Sunday, going 2-for-14 (.143) with six strikeouts. Brock Holt and Jonathan Herrera are the prime options to fill in at third base, but neither has much upside.
Middlebrooks was previously on the disabled list in April with a calf injury and has hit just .197 with two homers and a .629 OPS in 21 games when healthy enough to be in the lineup. Dating back to last season he’s hit just .222 with a .685 OPS and ghastly 121/27 K/BB ratio in 115 games, falling apart after a strong rookie season in which he hit .288 with 15 homers and an .835 OPS in 75 games.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 63
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)