May 17, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Middlebrooks actually played through the injury all week after sitting out Sunday, going 2-for-14 (.143) with six strikeouts. Brock Holt and Jonathan Herrera are the prime options to fill in at third base, but neither has much upside.
Middlebrooks was previously on the disabled list in April with a calf injury and has hit just .197 with two homers and a .629 OPS in 21 games when healthy enough to be in the lineup. Dating back to last season he’s hit just .222 with a .685 OPS and ghastly 121/27 K/BB ratio in 115 games, falling apart after a strong rookie season in which he hit .288 with 15 homers and an .835 OPS in 75 games.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)