May 17, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
On Wednesday, we learned that Yankees starter CC Sabathia was dealing with “degenerative changes” in his right knee. The lefty received a cortisone shot with stem cells and the Yankees didn’t offer a timetable for his return.
From the sound of it, though, the Yankees are unlikely to get him back when he is eligible to come off of the disabled list on May 26, MLB.com’s Spencer Fordin reports. Manager Joe Girardi said he would be “kind of shocked” if Sabathia returned on the 26th.
“There’s not a lot of history on this, but because they want the procedure to be as successful as possible, he’s on crutches,” Girardi said. “It’s not because the knee is sore. They just don’t want any weight on it. My guess is we’ll evaluate him Monday or Tuesday … and then we’ll go from there.”
Sabathia has a 5.28 ERA with a 48/10 K/BB ratio over eight starts spanning 46 innings. The 33-year-old was hoping to bounce back from a rough 2013 campaign, but things have become even tougher for him.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)