May 18, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Athletics could lose the Sacramento River Cats, their Triple-A affiliate, to the Giants after the season. The Athletics’ affiliate agreement with Sacramento expires after the season, coinciding with the Giants’ deal with the Fresno Grizzlies, their Triple-A affiliate, expiring as well.
Slusser notes that Sacramento is considered one of the better minor league cities to play in and the River Cats play in one of the best stadiums in the minors. It would certainly hurt the Athletics’ ability to reign in free agents looking to make it back to the big leagues. The Giants are comparatively a more attractive partner given the market in which they play.
The Giants and A’s have some recent history with each other, as the Giants blocked the Athletics’ attempt to move to San Jose. The River Cats joining forces with the Giants would just be more salt in the wound for the Athletics.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)