May 18, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Gonzalez was shelled in his past two starts, allowing five earned runs in three innings to the Mets yesterday and seven runs in four and a third last Sunday to the A’s.
For his part, Gonzalez is trying to be optimistic:
“You know, it’s one of those things, you just got to keep grinding through. Just trying to find out what it is. Hopefully, something positive comes out of it. Other than that, just try to stay positive.”
Given his sudden ineffectiveness and his history of shoulder issues, one hopes that that optimism is more than mere wish casting.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)