May 18, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
Orioles catcher Matt Wieters, currently on the 15-day disabled list with elbow inflammation, won’t be activated when he’s first eligible on May 26 according to manager Buck Showalter, per Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. Wieters received a platelet-rich plasma injection in his elbow on Monday.
Wieters, 27, has been hitting well over the first month and a half, putting him on track to post his best offensive numbers of his career. He’s slashing .308/.339/.500 with five home runs and 18 RBI in 112 plate appearances.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 50
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 21
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)