May 18, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
Orioles catcher Matt Wieters, currently on the 15-day disabled list with elbow inflammation, won’t be activated when he’s first eligible on May 26 according to manager Buck Showalter, per Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. Wieters received a platelet-rich plasma injection in his elbow on Monday.
Wieters, 27, has been hitting well over the first month and a half, putting him on track to post his best offensive numbers of his career. He’s slashing .308/.339/.500 with five home runs and 18 RBI in 112 plate appearances.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)