May 18, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
Orioles catcher Matt Wieters, currently on the 15-day disabled list with elbow inflammation, won’t be activated when he’s first eligible on May 26 according to manager Buck Showalter, per Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. Wieters received a platelet-rich plasma injection in his elbow on Monday.
Wieters, 27, has been hitting well over the first month and a half, putting him on track to post his best offensive numbers of his career. He’s slashing .308/.339/.500 with five home runs and 18 RBI in 112 plate appearances.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)