May 18, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jason Beck reports that the Tigers have pushed back Rick Porcello‘s start to Saturday against the Rangers. Porcello was set to face the Rangers in the series opener on Thursday, but he is experiencing soreness in his right side and will get some extra rest.
Porcello has been pitching very well for the Tigers, picking up his league-leading seventh win on Saturday against the Red Sox. The 25-year-old right-hander has a 2.91 ERA and a 33/7 K/BB ratio in 52 2/3 innings.
Robbie Ray will make Thursday’s start. Ray was one candidate to be sent down to clear a spot on the roster for Anibal Sanchez, who is coming off of the disabled list, but the Tigers optioned reliever Justin Miller to Triple-A Toledo instead. Ray, acquired from the Nationals in the Doug Fister trade over the winter, posted good results in his first two starts, allowing just one run in 11 1/3 innings.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)