May 18, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
As we noted yesterday, Ryan Zimmerman‘s timetable for returning from his fractured thumb is up in the air, as his bum shoulder makes the resumption of throwing a much tougher proposition for him than doing so would for most rehabbing players. Now here’s a new wrinkle from Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post:
The Nationals are not saying anything publicly about a potential position change for Zimmerman, and no final decision has been reached. Internally, though, officials and coaches have discussed and considered the idea of Zimmerman – a former Gold Glove third baseman in the first year of a six-year, $100 million contract extension – playing left field.
Kilgore notes that Zimmerman has been shagging fly balls in the Nats outfield during batting practice while wearing an outfielder’s glove. Everyone is being cagey about it, but Nats’ officials aren’t saying it’s nothing either.
Kilgore makes the astute observations that (a) Zimmerman is likely to be back before Bryce Harper is, so him taking over left field could make sense in the short term; and (b) Denard Span has been atrocious on offense, making it possible that, once Harper returns, Zimmerman could stay in left field and Harper could take over center field, at least sometimes, to give the Nats an offensive boost.
Not the dumbest thing in the world. Although, given Zimmerman’s throwing issues, you have to figure runners would challenge him to gun them down as they race for home on basically every ball hit to left field.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 8
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 15
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)