May 18, 2014, 11:14 AM EST
As we noted yesterday, Ryan Zimmerman‘s timetable for returning from his fractured thumb is up in the air, as his bum shoulder makes the resumption of throwing a much tougher proposition for him than doing so would for most rehabbing players. Now here’s a new wrinkle from Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post:
The Nationals are not saying anything publicly about a potential position change for Zimmerman, and no final decision has been reached. Internally, though, officials and coaches have discussed and considered the idea of Zimmerman – a former Gold Glove third baseman in the first year of a six-year, $100 million contract extension – playing left field.
Kilgore notes that Zimmerman has been shagging fly balls in the Nats outfield during batting practice while wearing an outfielder’s glove. Everyone is being cagey about it, but Nats’ officials aren’t saying it’s nothing either.
Kilgore makes the astute observations that (a) Zimmerman is likely to be back before Bryce Harper is, so him taking over left field could make sense in the short term; and (b) Denard Span has been atrocious on offense, making it possible that, once Harper returns, Zimmerman could stay in left field and Harper could take over center field, at least sometimes, to give the Nats an offensive boost.
Not the dumbest thing in the world. Although, given Zimmerman’s throwing issues, you have to figure runners would challenge him to gun them down as they race for home on basically every ball hit to left field.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)