May 18, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
As we noted yesterday, Ryan Zimmerman‘s timetable for returning from his fractured thumb is up in the air, as his bum shoulder makes the resumption of throwing a much tougher proposition for him than doing so would for most rehabbing players. Now here’s a new wrinkle from Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post:
The Nationals are not saying anything publicly about a potential position change for Zimmerman, and no final decision has been reached. Internally, though, officials and coaches have discussed and considered the idea of Zimmerman – a former Gold Glove third baseman in the first year of a six-year, $100 million contract extension – playing left field.
Kilgore notes that Zimmerman has been shagging fly balls in the Nats outfield during batting practice while wearing an outfielder’s glove. Everyone is being cagey about it, but Nats’ officials aren’t saying it’s nothing either.
Kilgore makes the astute observations that (a) Zimmerman is likely to be back before Bryce Harper is, so him taking over left field could make sense in the short term; and (b) Denard Span has been atrocious on offense, making it possible that, once Harper returns, Zimmerman could stay in left field and Harper could take over center field, at least sometimes, to give the Nats an offensive boost.
Not the dumbest thing in the world. Although, given Zimmerman’s throwing issues, you have to figure runners would challenge him to gun them down as they race for home on basically every ball hit to left field.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 26
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)