May 19, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Taylor Jordan was also mentioned as a possible fill-in option for Gonzalez, but Nationals manager Matt Williams confirmed to Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com this afternoon that Treinen will get the nod. He’ll take his first turn this Thursday against the Pirates.
Treinen, 25, owns a 0.77 ERA and 9/2 K/BB ratio in 11 2/3 innings at the major league level this season. That includes an impressive spot start against the Dodgers back on May 6. He’s a deserving choice to fill in, but the Nationals are surely hoping that they’ll have Gonzalez back soon.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 0
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)