May 19, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Taylor Jordan was also mentioned as a possible fill-in option for Gonzalez, but Nationals manager Matt Williams confirmed to Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com this afternoon that Treinen will get the nod. He’ll take his first turn this Thursday against the Pirates.
Treinen, 25, owns a 0.77 ERA and 9/2 K/BB ratio in 11 2/3 innings at the major league level this season. That includes an impressive spot start against the Dodgers back on May 6. He’s a deserving choice to fill in, but the Nationals are surely hoping that they’ll have Gonzalez back soon.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 8
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36