May 19, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Taylor Jordan was also mentioned as a possible fill-in option for Gonzalez, but Nationals manager Matt Williams confirmed to Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com this afternoon that Treinen will get the nod. He’ll take his first turn this Thursday against the Pirates.
Treinen, 25, owns a 0.77 ERA and 9/2 K/BB ratio in 11 2/3 innings at the major league level this season. That includes an impressive spot start against the Dodgers back on May 6. He’s a deserving choice to fill in, but the Nationals are surely hoping that they’ll have Gonzalez back soon.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 10
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 20
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)