May 19, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Taylor Jordan was also mentioned as a possible fill-in option for Gonzalez, but Nationals manager Matt Williams confirmed to Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com this afternoon that Treinen will get the nod. He’ll take his first turn this Thursday against the Pirates.
Treinen, 25, owns a 0.77 ERA and 9/2 K/BB ratio in 11 2/3 innings at the major league level this season. That includes an impressive spot start against the Dodgers back on May 6. He’s a deserving choice to fill in, but the Nationals are surely hoping that they’ll have Gonzalez back soon.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president, Al Avila takes over 0
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 28
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 89
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)