May 19, 2014, 7:58 PM EST
Taylor Jordan was also mentioned as a possible fill-in option for Gonzalez, but Nationals manager Matt Williams confirmed to Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com this afternoon that Treinen will get the nod. He’ll take his first turn this Thursday against the Pirates.
Treinen, 25, owns a 0.77 ERA and 9/2 K/BB ratio in 11 2/3 innings at the major league level this season. That includes an impressive spot start against the Dodgers back on May 6. He’s a deserving choice to fill in, but the Nationals are surely hoping that they’ll have Gonzalez back soon.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)