May 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Blue Jays have acquired left-handed reliever Raul Valdes from the Astros in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Valdes was designated for assignment by the Astros earlier this month after allowing five runs on five hits and three walks over 3 2/3 innings. The 36-year-old cleared waivers and eventually accepted an assignment to Triple-A Oklahoma City. He has a 3.48 ERA and 13/1 K/BB ratio in 10 1/3 innings at the Triple-A level this year.
Valdes hasn’t enjoyed much success in the majors since 2012 as a member of the Phillies, but he’s another option for a bullpen which ranks 28th in the majors with a 5.28 ERA.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69