May 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Blue Jays have acquired left-handed reliever Raul Valdes from the Astros in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Valdes was designated for assignment by the Astros earlier this month after allowing five runs on five hits and three walks over 3 2/3 innings. The 36-year-old cleared waivers and eventually accepted an assignment to Triple-A Oklahoma City. He has a 3.48 ERA and 13/1 K/BB ratio in 10 1/3 innings at the Triple-A level this year.
Valdes hasn’t enjoyed much success in the majors since 2012 as a member of the Phillies, but he’s another option for a bullpen which ranks 28th in the majors with a 5.28 ERA.
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 16
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)