May 19, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez continues to play through knee tendinitis that has bothered him all season and it’s starting to show in his performance.
Gonzalez is hitting .275 with seven homers and an .803 OPS, which would be very good for most players. However, that would be his lowest batting average in a full season by 20 points and his lowest OPS in a full season by 78 points. Beyond that he’s also attempted just two stolen bases in 42 games after stealing 21, 20, 20, and 26 bases in the previous four years.
Here’s what Gonzalez told Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post about the status of his knee:
I feel a little better; still fighting with that knee. I think it’s showing in stolen bases. It’s kind of slowed down a lot. But I continue to get treatment every day and hopefully it gets better and I can bring that speed back to the club. …
Sometimes, thinking about my hitting mechanics, and sometimes it bothers me (there) too. To have the leg kick and sit on that knee. When I’m having that pain, even without trying, my reaction is to just get (off) of that knee and jump out front. It’s causing me problems in the batter’s box. But like I said, I’m fighting with that, trying to do anything possible to stay in the lineup every day.
Gonzalez has played in 42 of 45 games for the Rockies, but based on those quotes at some point you’ve got to figure a little extra time off might help him stay productive all season long.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)