May 19, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said today that CC Sabathia‘s return from the disabled list “will be no sooner than six weeks from now” after the left-hander received a stem-cell injection in his injured knee from Dr. James Andrews.
That means Sabathia will definitely be out until at least July and probably means he won’t pitch again until after the All-Star break.
Here’s exactly what Cashman said, via Joel Sherman of the New York Post:
Our dialogue with Andrews has been good and the small sample of stem cell procedures, the results are very successful. But he has to be pain free before strengthening, so there is a way to go. Because he is a starter it will take longer. I have no idea how long it will be and if it will be successful. We are hoping it is six weeks to a major league return.
“I have no idea how long it will be and if it will be successful” doesn’t sound very promising and suggests Sabathia might be out a whole lot longer than six weeks.
Sabathia has a 4.87 ERA in 40 starts since the beginning of last season and is still owed $23 million this season, $23 million next season, and $25 million in 2016, plus a potential $25 million vesting option or $5 million buyout for 2017.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)