May 19, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said today that CC Sabathia‘s return from the disabled list “will be no sooner than six weeks from now” after the left-hander received a stem-cell injection in his injured knee from Dr. James Andrews.
That means Sabathia will definitely be out until at least July and probably means he won’t pitch again until after the All-Star break.
Here’s exactly what Cashman said, via Joel Sherman of the New York Post:
Our dialogue with Andrews has been good and the small sample of stem cell procedures, the results are very successful. But he has to be pain free before strengthening, so there is a way to go. Because he is a starter it will take longer. I have no idea how long it will be and if it will be successful. We are hoping it is six weeks to a major league return.
“I have no idea how long it will be and if it will be successful” doesn’t sound very promising and suggests Sabathia might be out a whole lot longer than six weeks.
Sabathia has a 4.87 ERA in 40 starts since the beginning of last season and is still owed $23 million this season, $23 million next season, and $25 million in 2016, plus a potential $25 million vesting option or $5 million buyout for 2017.
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 0
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 7
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 33
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 40
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 182
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (182)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)