May 19, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said today that CC Sabathia‘s return from the disabled list “will be no sooner than six weeks from now” after the left-hander received a stem-cell injection in his injured knee from Dr. James Andrews.
That means Sabathia will definitely be out until at least July and probably means he won’t pitch again until after the All-Star break.
Here’s exactly what Cashman said, via Joel Sherman of the New York Post:
Our dialogue with Andrews has been good and the small sample of stem cell procedures, the results are very successful. But he has to be pain free before strengthening, so there is a way to go. Because he is a starter it will take longer. I have no idea how long it will be and if it will be successful. We are hoping it is six weeks to a major league return.
“I have no idea how long it will be and if it will be successful” doesn’t sound very promising and suggests Sabathia might be out a whole lot longer than six weeks.
Sabathia has a 4.87 ERA in 40 starts since the beginning of last season and is still owed $23 million this season, $23 million next season, and $25 million in 2016, plus a potential $25 million vesting option or $5 million buyout for 2017.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)